Ideas/help on waterdish build

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, so I have been building a wicked home for tank with plants and wood nothing really artificial other then the light and the waterdish. I am planning to make a home made water dish. I just want to make sure I do it right. I am going to make it out of plywood drill a hole for plumbing so I can change the water often.

My biggest concerns are sealing the plywood. I was going to first use spray foam to sculpt the dish then either a grout or an epoxy.

If I use a grout does it matter what kind and do I need a sealer?

If I use an epoxy which one should I use?

I will be shopping at Home Depot if that helps
I don't know much about this stuff.
I even asked a reptile zoo what they did and his answer was "just straight up epoxy" whatever that means.

Thanks for you help

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
If you create a plywood dish, you can seal it very well with fiberglass resin. The kind you mix together then apply. They have gallon sizes, but I have seen smaller containers too.
I think home depot sells the polyester resin, which would be OK. There is also fiberglass epoxy resin (used for boats), so marine supply stores would sell that. Not sure if home depot does?

Here is a nice thread about it
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-25060.html

You pour it into the plywood container and either tip the container with your hands or use a brush to spread it around and up the sides.
Might work best to apply one thinner coat, then a second.

Once that dries and the odor is gone, you have a water proof container!