Identification Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello Tortoise Forum!

I know my tortoise is Greek, but I am not sure on the subspecies. I have pretty much ruled out Golden Greek as he is dark in color, but I am unsure from there. In addition, I'm almost positive Apollo is a male due to a vent very close to the tip of a large tail and a concave plastron. However, if anybody sees something that suggests otherwise please let me know.

I also worry that he is thinner than he should be, but I know he eats the greens and Mazuri chow I give him. Can you tell if he is healthy weight from the photos?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 68

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Congrats on your new tory. I LOVE his coloring!! He is a handsome boy. I just love the Greek torts they have become my favorite.

MasterOogway said:
Congrats on your new tory. I LOVE his coloring!! He is a handsome boy. I just love the Greek torts they have become my favorite.

Was he sold to you as a Greek?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise is definitely a Greek tortoise and appears to be a Middle range Ibera or Antakyan. Can you post a photo of the plastron? There is no way to determine if your tortoise has good weight for it's size based on the photos. The same goes for it's gender, there is no way of knowing for certain without seeing the plastron. From above, it appears to have more of a female shape, but that may not be the case.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
GBtortoises knows way more than I do about subspecies, so I'll just concur on the identification... :tort:

To figure out whether your tortoise is a good weight, weigh your tortoise on a good digital scale, and measure the SCL (place a ruler against the wall, then put your tortoise on it, right up against the wall, and see to where the total length of the shell goes). You'll need to convert it into cm (just google e.g. "6.3 inches = ? cm" and it should give you the answer). Then plug the weight in grams and the length in cm into this Jackson's ratio calculator: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/171.asp

This should give you an idea of whether your tortoise is a healthy weight. The interpretation of the numbers is included on the site.

Some Greek subspecies are naturally skinnier than other kinds, but generally, a tortoise should feel heavier than expected when you pick it up.

Your tortoise looks to be wild-caught, so the transport has likely stressed it. Is it eating? Have you had a fecal sample tested for worms? Not all vets require an office visit for a fecal test, so call around... I have a reptile vet whom I really like, but I have fecal tests run by a local dog and cat vet that charges half as much ($20ish). The test for worms is the same for all critters. :)

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thank you all for your advice! To clarify, he is actually not new, I've had him for about 8 years now. I only recently realized the variety of subspecies that exist and was curious since he was simply sold by a local pet store as a Greek Tortoise. He was also about this size when I bought him, which leads me to believe he was already a couple years old and wild caught.

He is a very active guy and a good eater, I vary his diet between dark greens and Mazuri chow, both with calcium powder. I recently became concerned about his weight when looking closely at his neck as shown in an attached picture, but he does feel heavier than he looks when picked up. In addition, his plastron is pretty concave which leads me to still think male, but I attached a picture.

Also, what are the small dots on his plastron? He is notorious for climbing so I can't tell if they are from regular wear and tear or if I am doing something wrong. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 37

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Sorry, here is other photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg