Identify sex of new turtle

Michele_Mace

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho falls, idaho
So I ordered a female due to already having a male but to me the one they sent looks like a male too! Please tell me your thoughts.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415121530208.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415121530208.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are the toenails long on the front feet? If so I'd say you got a boy .

Tyanna

Wisconsin
How do you tell the sex of a turtle? I understand the tortoise way, not the turtle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
water turtles, males usually have thicker, longer tails, and long front claws, for stroking the female's face( to get her in the mood).

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
I was told that the "hole" for lack of a better word was under or super close to the shell its a female. If it is away from the shell its a male. Right?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The "hole" (lol), AKA cloaca is usually closer to the shell.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Based on just the tail in the 1st pic. I would def. lean towards male, but I am not an expert with painteds.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You have a boy . The claws on the front are short but the turtle is small . In a year or two them front claws are going to get long .

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
It is still antsy and trying to settle in from the trip so I could only get pictures of its tail untucked while it was in the water. What do you think?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415141727638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415141727638.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415141778264.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415141778264.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
The two of them went from ignoring each other to the bigger one picking on the new/smaller one. I had to put a divider in due to my previous male trying to rip the new males back foot off!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The two of them went from ignoring each other to the bigger one picking on the new/smaller one. I had to put a divider in due to my previous male trying to rip the new males back foot off!!!!
Oh NO!!! :(

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Males and females will fight also . The key is a big enclosure room to get away . That is why I like keeping them in small pond .

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Congrats, you have boy! Before I moved my southern painted turtle away from the previous owner's pairing up of his 'friends' they ripped out his toenail, and evidence shone it had happened before... :(
That is your older turtle's territory, and it just got invaded! In the wild, the smaller male would have just upped and left, but he can't. If you introduce a female, the male might fight her too, but he could also stress her out by mating way too many times, and just bullying her about :(
For some reason, when I put my mr southern into the tank I had mr midland painted turtle in, they got along great. I still watch, and there's no biting... no chasing... they allow each other to bask equally, they don't fight for food, and it's only s 75gal tank! :confused: It's really strange, but I'm always prepared to separate if something goes wrong.
Sight barriers, things to hide in, and two basking spot might equal up the playing field for the smmal male :)

Michele_Mace

Idaho falls, idaho
Thank you for the info, it was very helpful. Extra floating bark and another basking light/spot has seemed to help them go back to ignoring each other for the most part.