Identifying Hermann subspecies in hatchlings

janebartley

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hello! Haven’t been on this site in a while, I was planning on buying a Redfoot tortoise and asked for advice last time I was on here but after much consideration decided that I will go for a hermann instead.

Unfortunately where I am in the uk there are no reliable hermann breeders even close to me (that I can find anyway) so I have been looking for breeders on petsforhomes.

I have found a breeder on there who claims to have ‘standard’ hermanns, and ‘western dwarf hermanns’ I have done some research and looked at the sheet on this site for identifying but just wondering is there any specific way of identifying a hatchling? I won’t be able to go see the torts in person as I’m having to have one collected by reptile courier.. just worried about being ripped off online as the western is £200 and the hermann is £100

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You might try and compare images with the website https://www.hermannihaven.com/ many of the subspecies or geographic variants are well illustrated. I find it the best such guide available on-line.

Many of the western populations are smaller, some about the size of Egyptian tortoises, which are very small. They sell for more here as well.