Idiot on Craigslist…. pissed me off!!!

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
VENTING
I was browsing Craigslist last night and came across an "auction" for an 18 year old Sulcata. Curious, I emailed the guy. He's in the business of auctioning off other people's animals for profit.
I put in a low bid, knowing and not wanting to win, to get his attention. I asked him about the Tort, what it ate, what I'd need to keep it.
The guy tells me to feed him fruits and veggies from the local supermarket and DOGFOOD and that he only needed a small outdoor pen. And that I wouldn't have to worry about him doing any destruction.
I WAS SO MAD!!!!! I kept my cool and still pretended I was interested and naive.
He tells me this morning that he sold the tort, which had bad pyramiding and a deformed carapace for $1,100!!!!
I wish I could get the contact info for whoever he sold the poor thing to!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW!!

$1,100!!!

You need to contact the winner of this torts to get a prepare care sheet. Of cause he may feel really bad about the money he spend.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I asked him for the winners info, he said it was confidential. I can only pray they find this site!!!
Or at least do some investigating of their own.
$1,100!!?? Does that sound right???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a deep breath and let it all go. You can't do anything about it, so there's no use letting it get to you so badly. I really doubt he got $1100 for the tortoise. People on Craigslist are more savvy than that.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i totally get what you're saying by this, There's a new reptile store that opened down the street from me i went to check it out and ran into some people that i know and know i keep tortoises so the owner started giving me "advice" he keeps his torts on rabbit pelts and doesn't soak AND intentionally cross breed 2 different species he got mad when i told him he was doing it wrong he got to talking about how he's been doing this for 30 year's and how it's "people like me" the reason tort's die p****ed me off to good thing there's nothing i liked in that store because i put out the word that he's store is crap he know's nothing funny thing is i talked to another person who work's at the shop who said he's lying they have torts die all the time on them ............. made me sad

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
He is not in a very good shape but not that terrible either.

I also hope the new owner can find this site soon too.

Compared the shape he could be in, I think it's bad shape. My worry is more about how much worse it will get if they listen to that moron. :(

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Take a deep breath and let it all go. You can't do anything about it, so there's no use letting it get to you so badly. I really doubt he got $1100 for the tortoise. People on Craigslist are more savvy than that.

I know, it's out there. Maybe I just need to not look. But this guy in particular is in business doing this stuff.
I can't help but be bothered that he's making a profit on his ignorance and that this poor tort will suffer because of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The tortoise has MBD, but bot terribly pyramided, so not horrible condition, but still could receive much better care. As for the price, well he can say anything he wants as to how much he " sold" it for until I see proof I wouldn't believe him, though larger sulcatas tend to sell for more money.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
The tortoise has MBD, but bot terribly pyramided, so not horrible condition, but still could receive much better care. As for the price, well he can say anything he wants as to how much he " sold" it for until I see proof I wouldn't believe him, though larger sulcatas tend to sell for more money.
I guess he's not in all that bad of shape. It just kills me because he looks so much like my Tank from the front. Then I see his shell and think about the kind of life he could end up having.... guess I'm just a softy. I'm in love with my Tort. I'm sensitive. Lol.