Status
Not open for further replies.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
...just turn it over, take them off and make a tort table!:p
This is my first enclosure beyond sterilites and they love it! It now has 3 hides(2 smaller and 1 larger), 2 basking rocks with heat lamps and 2 large water dishes so they can play in their water too. I also have a piece of plexiglass covering about 2/3 of it to keep in a bit of humidity.
I currently have it split in two to keep the 2 males apart but I am working on a new enclosure.
Picture001-1.jpg

and here it is split:(
animalfamily407.jpg

Thank you for looking!:shy:

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
nice!!! we sawed the legs off of an old table to set ours on, too! LOL!

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hey barbie, great setup, but there are some faulty things with it.

The substrate is incorrect, it needs to be hemcore, or aspen, or a 50/50 mixture of soil and playsand.
them pellets are very bad for them...they dehydrate your tortoise, and if eaten cause bad stomach problems (impact issues).

Also, your uv light needs to be pointed downwards from what ive always been told.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
cvalda said:
nice!!! we sawed the legs off of an old table to set ours on, too! LOL!

Thank you so much! No sawing required for this one...they just unscrewed. It was so easy!:D

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
T-P said:
Hey barbie, great setup, but there are some faulty things with it.

The substrate is incorrect, it needs to be hemcore, or aspen, or a 50/50 mixture of soil and playsand.
them pellets are very bad for them...they dehydrate your tortoise, and if eaten cause bad stomach problems (impact issues).

Also, your uv light needs to be pointed downwards from what ive always been told.
Thank you for the compliment!:D
Knew this was coming:shy:.... they are currnetly on a combination of cellsorb and timothy hay at this time and have been for years(since 2003). I have the plexiglass for humidity and it works quite well. I do not use aspen for ANY of my reptiles and I probably never will again. I find they are more apt to eat it than cellsorb and we have never had any digestion issues so I am not too concerned all of a sudden they will start to eat it if they have not up til now. They burrow in it nicely and it really holds humidity very well. The light you are looking at is not set up there, the table was turned and they each have their own lamp as well as heat lamps. They also have a red heat bulb that comes on when the day ones go off. I had to have my ex help me move it since I am small and it is big. LOL
The new enclosure will be different, and since reading all the posts here, I think we will give the 50/50 of soil and playsand a shot in it and see how it works. I am always willing to try new things;). Thank you for the constructive criticizm, I can't wait to try and set up my new home. Just curious.....what type and where do you all purchase soil so that you can be sure it is safe?

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Oh right i see, but i still dont agree with the substrate in the photo (is that cellsorb?).

You can buy soil from any garden center or something, alot of "Depot" stores sell it.
it doesnt have to be a specific soil as such, you just look at the package and see if it says organic, and its stone, chemical, fertilizer and pesticides free.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Or you can use the bricks of Bed-A-beast (and other names). Sand is just normal children's play sand from places like Home Depot.

P.S. Nice set up! And good re-use of something!!

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I am going to try the bed a beast mixed 50/50 with playsand first. I don't want to use dirt I don't think, just personal preference. I didn't get a chance to get out and pick any up this weekend but I will when I take the male tort over to my friends. I think we will get her all set up with the 50/50 mix and see how he likes it. If all goes well I will look in to changing the substrate in the table as well.
Thanks for all the advice. I think I really like it here:D.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Yea, bed-a-beast is good, its also known as ready-bed in some places... its ment to be alot better than dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.