if I get eggs tonight what should I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hello please help me my sulcata is digging a hole I don't know if she gonna drop any eggs but if so what should I do leave them in the ground or pick up?what should I do please help me

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Is she digging with her front feet or her back ones? If eggs do happen, the question is do you want to have hatchlings? Can you find homes for them? From what I could see of the picture, it looks more like a hole or burrow she is digging rather then a nest.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
she's sticking with her back feet.
I would say but I haven't seen her Dig yet, because when I look at her she ,he stops. how would she dig if it would be for eggs?
thanks for helping

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
have you seen her mating with another tortoise?

If you do get eggs just VERY carefully dig them up after she is all done laying and put them in an incubator.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yesterday I made the enclosure much bigger

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They usually dig with their back feet to lay. However, I'm not sure if it is front feet to burrow, but, I think it is. That's of course if they are doing it by the book. There are always the odd balls.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
and yes I would love to have the hatchlings but how would I do that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help with details, others will do that, but you have two choices. Leave them to hatch on their own, in the hole or incubate them in an incubator, store bought or there are ways to make a home made one.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
so what do you use what is the best
can you recommend anything?

thanks for helping me

how long should I wait until I move her away. or should I wait until she moves from by herself. what about if I give her watermelon, would dhe come?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
leave her alone, but watch her... leave the eggs in the ground.. nature will take care of it.. If you don't have an incubator already and are not prepared.. just let it be..

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
okay will do . could she fall asleep during laying eggs?

Vickie

5 Year Member
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
okay will do . could she fall asleep during laying eggs?

I'm not a tort so cannot answer this. However, if they feel anything like us women do during labor I highly doubt it every happens. ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No she won't fall asleep. When she is done she will cover the eggs with dirt that was dug up. Then carry on about her business. If late (which it probably will be) she will go to sleep but not during egg laying. If the hole is not covered in the morning she may of abandoned the nest or just be digging a test hole or burrow. How big and old is she? She has been with a male too correct? Can you post photos perhaps?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
If she is nesting, she will start a bit with her front legs (especially to create a perimeter) and then dig much of it with her rear legs. She could get it this time or may dig test nests. Since you are in FL (yes?), I would have you leave them in the ground and put a wire framed top like a rabbit run over the top of it, staking it down. Have the nest in the center. Make sure to put fine mesh around the outside if the run is made of bars. If made of mesh, extra mesh is not needed.

That is assuming the nest is outside and that you are not equipped to incubate. For artificial incubation, there are many tutorials online and I tend to keep finer tweaks to myself.

If it looks something like this female Sudanese adult's construction effort, then she is at least making a serious test nest if not a full one.

IMG_20130619_163212.jpg

IMG_20130619_163329.jpg

IMG_20130619_162643.jpg

Good luck.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yes I'm in Florida I will send a picture he or she short tail is 5 years old almost 15 inches and almost 15 pounds. the other one is definitely a male 5 years with tail wraped around his leg with 16 inches and 19.5 pounds

thank you so much for the nesting idea

Attachments

• 1374194687952.jpg
    1374194687952.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 39

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That tortoise is digging a burrow in the photo. I would not expect eggs. Let the tortoise male or female do its thing. They burrow in the wild and to escape the heat. Its what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.