If my tortoise naps on me is that a sign of trust?

Diane771

5 Year Member
That's lovely. I certainly think it is a really good thing to encourage your tortoise to accept and enjoy human contact - not just tolerate it to get food. Not all tortoises will put up with it- I know a lady who hatched a sulcata baby, and although she really loved it, the tortoise seemed to hate her, and peed every time she picked it up - but didn't pee or object much to anyone else picking it up.
If our Hermanns tortoise is eating, he will leave his food and come running to me, which I consider a great compliment ! It sounds like your Sally is a very friendly and trusting girl, which must be thanks to your care - that's great.
Angie
Sally doesn't like to be hand-fed. She is a picky eater and she is fed in her aquarium and if you come in she will stop eating till you are gone. It's amazing that they all have different personalities

_LeoTheTort_

Location (City and/or State)
Garland Texas
So I noticed I think baby Otis likes the warmth my body heat gives him. When I hold him still in my hand or put him on my stomach I noticed he will fall right asleep. Right now even he was making direct eye contact with me and was not fidgety at all and just fell right asleep with his head up in the air facing me, not hiding at all. Would you say this is a sign of trust? I think it is but wanted opinions.
He looks so 😍

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He looks so 😍
Yes, definitely - he trusts you won't eat him, or hurt him in any way, and that is absolutely great. He could hurt you, of course, by biting your finger while hand feeding him, but he wouldn't mean to - just that his aim towards the food might not be perfect.
Angie