If the Gallery Ain't Working

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't have an infrared lens. Though at one point I toyed with converting an older camera over to IR. Once you make that conversion though it's permanent.
I have several infrared filters. They can be used on normal digital cameras, but only with long exposure times, which makes them problematic to use (tripod required). If you remove the IR blocker ("hot mirror") in front of the camera sensor, which is easier said than done, then IR photography becomes much more doable.
I have modified an old point-and-shoot camera for IR many years ago, here's an album with some tortoise photos.
bduOoTg.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The link isn't working for me! :( I don't know why, though! @THBfriend , can you maybe try to copy and paste it differently? It might just be my computer, though. Darn, I really wanted to see!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@saginawhxc Thank you!
@GingerLove Strange, the link should be working. Can you see the single photo I embedded?
Maybe copying & pasting the URL will work: http://imgur.com/a/Cn1QO
Hooray!!! It worked!!! That is so awesome! You took all of those?! The infrared looks really cool. How did you do the thing where it is a bit of black and white yet I can still see a light color of the shell of the tortoise? Some sort of saturation photo shop thingy? My absolute favorite photo is of the baby sticking his head in the camera. Looks almost like a fish-eye photo! I love how the infrared filter lights up the grass like an x-ray. That is so cool. Thank you so much for sharing and re-posting it so that I could see it!
You have some beautiful photography, some amazing infrared filters, and an adorable cluster of torts! You were right @saginawhxc , I think it's pretty dang cool!

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
@GingerLove Thanks. Yes, I took those photos. Depending on what IR filter you use, a bit of visible light will be captured as well. A 720nm filter for example will allow some visible red light to pass. That, and the different reactions of the sensor elements, will cause some interesting pseudo-colors sometimes. Unless you set the camera to grayscale. Stronger filters, e.g. 850nm which I also have, produce a more monochromatic output.

I usually shoot NIR in pseudo-color, and don't do much post-processing except for exposure/contrast correction and occasional red-blue channel swapping, which is a common thing to do.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@GingerLove Thanks. Yes, I took those photos. Depending on what IR filter you use, a bit of visible light will be captured as well. A 720nm filter for example will allow some visible red light to pass. That, and the different reactions of the sensor elements, will cause some interesting pseudo-colors sometimes. Unless you set the camera to grayscale. Stronger filters, e.g. 850nm which I also have, produce a more monochromatic output.

I usually shoot NIR in pseudo-color, and don't do much post-processing except for exposure/contrast correction and occasional red-blue channel swapping, which is a common thing to do.
I have a question for you two. My camera is a Nikon... and I am testing out the macro filter. When I finally get it to focus on something super zoomed, it won't take the picture! Not everything is in focus, just a little piece that I want. But my camera refuses to take the picture unless it's all in focus. However, it will take the picture when I switch it to manual, but I want automatic. I wondered if either of you had any ideas? I might have to go and look it up in my Nikon little instruction manual thingy.

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
@GingerLove Sorry, I don't know much about Nikon cameras, I'm a Canon user. Maybe you can change the focus area/spot on your camera, or even switch to manual focus?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@GingerLove Sorry, I don't know much about Nikon cameras, I'm a Canon user. Maybe you can change the focus area/spot on your camera, or even switch to manual focus?
I've tried manual focus and it still won't take the picture unless it thinks it's focused. But I haven't tried to do the focus area-spot thing yet. I'll see if I can figure it out! Thanks! Oh, and I LOVE Canon cameras!! I wanted a camera for a very long time but I couldn't afford it, and then on Christmas Eve, someone rang my doorbell. They left a typed note saying the backpack out front was for me, and in the backpack was a Canon camera with two filters, two lenses, two SD cards, and a lens flare guard. WHAT?!! I still have no idea who gave it to me and I asked EVERYONE. So anyways, I was saving up for a Canon but got a Nikon... and ain't gonna complain!! :D
*Ahem*, anyways, I'll see if I can try the spot focus thing.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hey guys... you know that calendar I made a while ago? Well, it just wasn't enough. I had to have Ginger on my backpack too. :D I had the backpack made for me by a company called "Zazzle" online. The front is interchangeable if I want to make more! Now I just need a phone case of Ginger, a laptop cover, a pillow case... ;)View attachment 203871
Awesome! I have some swag with my little Stevie on it too! :D
I have several infrared filters. They can be used on normal digital cameras, but only with long exposure times, which makes them problematic to use (tripod required). If you remove the IR blocker ("hot mirror") in front of the camera sensor, which is easier said than done, then IR photography becomes much more doable.
I have modified an old point-and-shoot camera for IR many years ago, here's an album with some tortoise photos.
bduOoTg.jpg
Loved the photos!! Very beautiful.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
We have a yearly membership to a small little local children's zoo ten minutes down the road from me. The highlight for me has always been the two leopard tortoises. Today was their first day out in the sunshine for 2017. We showed up just minutes after they came out. I have to say, they were two extremely happy and friendly tortoises today. This one in particular was extremely interested in my camera.

Attachments

• 1492343918800.jpg
    1492343918800.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 15

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We have a yearly membership to a small little local children's zoo ten minutes down the road from me. The highlight for me has always been the two leopard tortoises. Today was their first day out in the sunshine for 2017. We showed up just minutes after they came out. I have to say, they were two extremely happy and friendly tortoises today. This one in particular was extremely interested in my camera.
Awesome! :D Great to see the little guys back out! I'll have to come up for another tea ceremony and zoo adventure. Those are fun Saturdays!!
Can I see your "swag" with Stevie on it? ;)
Here's my Steve luggage tag from Shutterfly. :<3:
upload_2017-4-18_18-11-5.png

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Awesome! :D Great to see the little guys back out! I'll have to come up for another tea ceremony and zoo adventure. Those are fun Saturdays!!

Here's my Steve luggage tag from Shutterfly. :<3:
View attachment 205199
Gawwwww!!!!!!!!! So cute!!! Now I want a luggage tag!!! What a great idea, I didn't even think of that! Do you have any other great ideas????

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Gawwwww!!!!!!!!! So cute!!! Now I want a luggage tag!!! What a great idea, I didn't even think of that! Do you have any other great ideas????
I also have a coffee mug with my little baby on it. If you click around on Shutterfly.com, you can find a lot of neat products to put baby photos on! Check out https://www.shutterfly.com/personalized-gifts They even have pillows!
How do change ur icon driving me CRAZY!?View attachment 205464
You can upload your own photo as an avatar here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/account/avatar

You can also find it by clicking on your profile menu at the top right, and then clicking on "Avatar." :)

upload_2017-4-26_20-15-53.png

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I also have a coffee mug with my little baby on it. If you click around on Shutterfly.com, you can find a lot of neat products to put baby photos on! Check out https://www.shutterfly.com/personalized-gifts They even have pillows!

You can upload your own photo as an avatar here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/account/avatar

You can also find it by clicking on your profile menu at the top right, and then clicking on "Avatar." :)

View attachment 205915
Thanks so much for the link!!!!!!!!! Can I see your coffee mug????? :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hehe, it has a photo from my outdoor enclosure thread, with the Testudo Mix plants wrapped around it. Stevie is looking right at the camera in the picture, and I've always thought he looked pretty happy with his new salad buffet... ;)

upload_2017-4-26_22-27-0.png