If you were designing the perfect outdoor Redfoot enclosure...

Canadian Mojo

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
What would your must haves include?

This spring I built an outdoor enclosure for my for my son's tortoise. I live in Ontario so it is essentially a summer playground for him. I think I've got the basics covered, he has water, a couple hides to choose from, a low bush shady area that doubles as a butt scratching post, a high overhead shady area, full sun with a couple basking rocks, and decent line of sight disruption by playing with topography and plant placement.

I'd like to create a nice habitat that gives him what he needs and promotes healthy natural behavior. I think I'm off to a good start, but what would make it perfect as far as the tortoise is concerned?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to say what to do in Canada, as I don't know the weather, but here in Central California, I've made a rain forest for my RF tortoises. It is heavily planted with rose of sharon, palm tree, purple empress tree, fig trees, with a non planted opening all along the west side of it. There are T-posts about every 6' in a straight line across the whole yard, with drip pipe strung along the tops of the posts. I placed sprinkler-type emitters about every 5' in the pipe. Every afternoon during the summer I turn on the drip and it sprays a very fine spray or mist throughout the rain forest. They have a large, shallow garbage toter lid for water, sunk into the ground.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Picks of our rainforest please. Your best bet is, if you can use a spare room as the enclosure. If not, build he biggest enclosure you can indoor. Canadas weather is not permitting.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep mine outside 24/7 but south Florida mimics the Redfoots natural habitat for the most part.
Lots of plants and lots of shade is key.
I also have an overhead "rain system" for the less humid winter months. But a lawn sprinkler attached to a garden hose would also work.
Redfoot LOVE rain.
They also like water pools large enough to climb into.
Most new Redfoot keepers don't understand how much these animals love water.
I've got some older videos on YOUTUBE called REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE and FLORIDA EASY REDFOOT PEN.
They're good for a few ideas for outdoor pens.

Last edited:

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I keep mine outside 24/7 but south Florida mimics the Redfoots natural habitat for the most part.
Lots of plants and lots of shade is key.
I also have an overhead "rain system" for the less humid winter months. But a lawn sprinkler attached to a garden hose would also work.
Redfoot LOVE rain.
They also like water pools large enough to climb into.
Most new Redfoot keepers don't understand how much these animals love water.
I've got some older videos on YOUTUBE called REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE and FLORIDA EASY REDFOOT PEN.
They're good for a few ideas for outdoor pens.

Thanks for the suggestions and the videos. You're right about not understanding how much they love water. I've noticed on the few occasions that we've had a good downpour when Tord is out he will merrily keep going about whatever it is he is doing without a care in the world rather than seek cover. He will also repeatedly wander in and out of his pond and even hang out in it and munch on the overhanging vegetation.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the suggestions and the videos. You're right about not understanding how much they love water. I've noticed on the few occasions that we've had a good downpour when Tord is out he will merrily keep going about whatever it is he is doing without a care in the world rather than seek cover. He will also repeatedly wander in and out of his pond and even hang out in it and munch on the overhanging vegetation.
This time of year it rains here every day from about 2 to 3 pm.
It really excites the Redfoot.
They all come out when it rains.