If your tortoise could talk...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
This question came to mind, because of the direction another thread took. This is a two part question...

1) What would be the very first thing you think your tortoise would say (not counting something like "Hi!") if your tortoise suddenly sat up and started speaking to you?

2) What would be the first question you would ask of him?

3) Would you tell anybody about this conversation?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would not tell anyone, no one would believe me. I tell you he can talk, why won't anyone believe me? For some reason I can't explain, I don't think I could trust amything he says. Being a tortoise, first words would prob. be "feed me"

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I think his first words would either be "you're a weirdo" or "Will you stop with that caffeine!"

The very first thing I'd ask him is if he's now ok with being a pet (NOT mentioning the trip over here... I imagine that being a PTSD moment type thing) Then I'd ask if he likes his name or wants me to call him anything else.

I wouldn't tell my family or friends but I'd certainly tell you guys!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
images

2. Figure out why he poops in the water dish.
3. No... don't think my people who think I'm crazy list can take any more :D

Prairie Mom

squirrel saber.jpg
I like these questions:) I actually had a whacky dream not very long ago that an animal spoke to me.--Yup! A crazy dream very similar to what you're proposing, Jacqui! I told my husband all about it. It was embarrassingly kind of a "deep" conversation, but it totally touched on the debates that people have on the forum regarding pets' "happiness" and the whole wild vs pet thing. I dreamed I was talking to one of the squirrels I rehabbed and released, and I was asking him about his life now. The overall gist of the crazy dream conversation was that he loved the freedom to choose for himself and the space to run and leap for miles, BUT on the long cold nights, he wished he were a pet again----I'm a dork and the dream kind of made me sad. I'll embarrassingly admit that the silly dream made me have some quiet and worried thoughts about the critters I've returned to the trees, and I hugged my tortoise a little tighter the next day.

-----------
-I think my tortoise would first ask me why she's been stuck inside for so long, thus, forcing me to explain winter and the discomfort of extreme cold.
-Then I'd ask the same type of questions @Heather Hilliard would ask about their well-being and what more my Sulcata would want from me. Then, if she's still in a chatty mood, I'd make her help me plan her winter room enclosure.
-Yes-I'd tell my husband. Divorces are pretty expensive. I'd cross my fingers and hope he thinks I'm "dynamo" enough to compensate for the insanity.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I believe my Mort, at least would say something to the effect of, just feed me and leave me alone woman. I would ask him why he hates soaks so much and why he insists on falling asleep in his upstairs part with no night heat . i might not tell anyone. My husband already thinks i am crazy. Thankfully he still thinks it's a cute level of craziness, not sure how far i can push that. Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
1. Why did you move me from SoCal to Oregon?

2. Aren't you glad I kept you? I sent the others off to warmer places but I had to keep you. You're my favorite!

3. We actually had this conversation...and I'm telling you guys, so yes.

I was wondering the same thing. I would have to have a talk myself with that Levi. Favorite =cold. Non favorite=warm. Something wrong here Levi

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine would say, who is this wacky Jacqui blowing our secret
Then they would say, open these freaking doors and let us out. Tatum would tell me to stop kissing his face non stop. I would ask them if they were happy, and happy to be here or not if they would rather live someplace else. If they said yes, I would tell them TOO BAD BAHAHAHA just kidding, I would have it a call into Cyan, Jeff, Kelly, Tom, Greg, Yvonne, hmmm and other warm state folk

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would not tell anyone, no one would believe me. I tell you he can talk, why won't anyone believe me? For some reason I can't explain, I don't think I could trust amything he says. Being a tortoise, first words would prob. be "feed me"
I to believe that if a tort were to talk, then it would firstly ask for....food.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This question came to mind, because of the direction another thread took. This is a two part question...

1) What would be the very first thing you think your tortoise would say (not counting something like "Hi!") if your tortoise suddenly sat up and started speaking to you?

2) What would be the first question you would ask of him?

3) Would you tell anybody about this conversation?
My tort would firstly ask for food, I think, and then would ask me to take it for "a walk" if it is nice and sunny.
I would ask mt tort: "Are you fine love?"

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i'd ask him why he try's to bite. i think he'd answer "because your daft enough to stick your hand in front of me, and because i can durr", followed by some evil type laugh and a demand for food. yer i'd tell people they already think i'm crazy so why not.