Ilene had to see the vet

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
So Ilene, the three legged Gulf coast didn't hibernate well this past winter. She is slightly thin, but not too bad. She has eye infections, she had gunk in her nostrils, altho the vet does not think it is a respiratory infection. So she is indoors for a week, and eye drops 2x daily. soaks for 20 min a day.

Vet told me She might not be a good candidate for hibernation, which would mean keeping her in the house all winter. I am not looking forward to doing that, bc she won't have much room, but I will do that if it means she could die if she hibernates.

So far, Wolowitz looks good, but Bernadette has not opened her shell for me to see her. My 4th turtle Rio, has not appeared yet. but the weather will improve over the next week or so, and i hope to see her.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So Ilene, the three legged Gulf coast didn't hibernate well this past winter. She is slightly thin, but not too bad. She has eye infections, she had gunk in her nostrils, altho the vet does not think it is a respiratory infection. So she is indoors for a week, and eye drops 2x daily. soaks for 20 min a day.

Vet told me She might not be a good candidate for hibernation, which would mean keeping her in the house all winter. I am not looking forward to doing that, bc she won't have much room, but I will do that if it means she could die if she hibernates.

So far, Wolowitz looks good, but Bernadette has not opened her shell for me to see her. My 4th turtle Rio, has not appeared yet. but the weather will improve over the next week or so, and i hope to see her.

Awww....poor Ilene. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope everyone else is okay. If she has to stay in, she has to stay in. She will have to cope. Maybe a two level enclosure is what you'll have to do if you don't have a lot of room.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Hope everyone else is okay. If she has to stay in, she has to stay in. She will have to cope. Maybe a two level enclosure is what you'll have to do if you don't have a lot of room.

I don't know. I think i will have to see how she does this year and see if i can figure out what to do. i have a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub, but I don't have room for much else.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
is Ilene your gulf coast box turtle ? i'm sure she'll be fine ....... I've had a rescued gulf coast for about 5-6yrs , I never left her outside for the winter , this year , as I've seen you and I believe Terryo say you leave yours out for the winter, I left her out ..... she shocked me today she was out walking around ...... none of the easterns are up , but I pulled the leaves aside for the sun will hit the ground and I see a few shells just slightly buried ............ also seen 4 out of 7 yearlings just slightly buried that I knew were out there .......

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
MrMarg and Pearl have been up since mid March. Loa didn't make an appearance until the very end of March. Loa is very young and I worried. But then there he was. I am sorry Ilene is poorly. You have a beautiful and very safe enclosure for them. I would love to have one like it. It would be disappointing if it can not be functional for all the turtles during all seasons!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
A wildlife rescuer suggested to me I not hibernate my gulf coasts since I am in Cleveland and the weather is so much harsher than where they are native. That' the reason I don' hibernate my turtles. I know some in bad areas do though. I' hoping for a speedy recovery for Ilene.