Illegal to buy under 4 inches?

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
Hello, this is random but i thought the law was that the buying and selling of tortoises under 4 inches was illegal?

I just realized this yesterday after having my baby sully for a month now... and he's teeny.. definitely smaller than 4 inches, and we definitely bought him from a pet store...

hmmm ‍♀️

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello, this is random but i thought the law was that the buying and selling of tortoises under 4 inches was illegal?

I just realized this yesterday after having my baby sully for a month now... and he's teeny.. definitely smaller than 4 inches, and we definitely bought him from a pet store...

hmmm ‍♀️
They can get around the law by stating the turtles are sold for "Educational and scientific purposes only". I'd bet you if you go back to that store you'll see a sign somewhere that says that.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Why is that a law?
It is, or it once was thought that turtles and tortoises carry salmonella. The law was made so children cannot put the baby turtles in their mouths. It law was also pushed to stop an inhumane turtle trade from China that was happening at the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It depends upon where you bought it. Private parties can sell babies under 4" as long as the private party is not in the turtle selling business.

TurtisTime

5 Year Member
texas
It is, or it once was thought that turtles and tortoises carry salmonella. The law was made so children cannot put the baby turtles in their mouths. It law was also pushed to stop an inhumane turtle trade from China that was happening at the time.
Wow! Very interesting. Thank you!