Im a little concerned about sissy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm a bit south of you 😊 O H I O 😁 but I, like you, like around 80°. My little Russian is being lazy right now too even though he's in temperatures that are ok for him. The weather out side is not and I think he can feel it. He's been eating and active until the past couple of days. This is normal for him to go through inactive periods of days in the winter. I just do his regular care anyway wether he likes it or not. I wind up throwing away his salad then but that's ok. At least it was there and available 🐢
Yes, I agree. I'm in the same kind of weather as both of you. My rissian goes off and on all winter. He just stopped eating for a couple days and now back at it. Pretty normal for northern cold area Russians.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok what a relief....and i think spike will go for it as he see how upset iv been thinking i would have to give her up....and hes espically glad to hear the floescent we have will work to....I saved for months to get everything i needed for sissy and the things she needs....and he really didnt want me to have to go into my savings ( if he dies before i do we are hoping it help out with expensives until I can rent out the bedroom) .... things are looking up now thank God. Im always so happy when God answers my prayers with a yes! lol now will the one florescent lamp work for both light heat and basking?
Unfortunately no. The fluorescent will only give off light and uvb.
You can get a regular flood bulb from Home Depot or similar store for basking and heat. Probably cheaper then what pet stores sell.

Dragon

michagin
Unfortunately no. The fluorescent will only give off light and uvb.
You can get a regular flood bulb from Home Depot or similar store for basking and heat. Probably cheaper then what pet stores sell.
ok so the heat lamp we already have, can that be put back her....its the one they sold us from the pet store....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't find where or if you said what kind it is. It's likely a basking bulb and yes you can use that.
The one that is a CFL, curly type bulb is the only one I believe you have that should not be used.

Dragon

michagin
Thank you everyone for your help! Sissy seems much more comfortable today...shes finished her food and is under her basking light. We put the uv one we had that you said was the right one, and I put the heating lamp back... last time i looked the temp was 80 in there so were getting better and closer to what she needs..... im sure spike will build a second level as soon as we can find a picture of one or he can figure out a plan for making one for her so that she will get the lights on both levels.....but even if we find one this weekend it will have to wait to be build because my 10 year old grandson is here this weekend for his lessons in scroll sawing and sewing.... I just learned his parents have like 4 sewing machines....so theres no reason he has to keep sewing things by hand! like i told him if you can scroll you can use a sewing machine well grandson is ready to transfer pattern to wood so gotta go lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
ok so the heat lamp we already have, can that be put back her....its the one they sold us from the pet store....
Most of the pet shops I've dealt with will allow you to return items that won't work for you. I've even returned opened food that the animal wouldn't eat with no problems.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your help! Sissy seems much more comfortable today...shes finished her food and is under her basking light. We put the uv one we had that you said was the right one, and I put the heating lamp back... last time i looked the temp was 80 in there so were getting better and closer to what she needs..... im sure spike will build a second level as soon as we can find a picture of one or he can figure out a plan for making one for her so that she will get the lights on both levels.....but even if we find one this weekend it will have to wait to be build because my 10 year old grandson is here this weekend for his lessons in scroll sawing and sewing.... I just learned his parents have like 4 sewing machines....so theres no reason he has to keep sewing things by hand! like i told him if you can scroll you can use a sewing machine well grandson is ready to transfer pattern to wood so gotta go lol
Lucky grandson having a grandma like you. He is going to learn all sorts of fun things which will be so useful when he grows up. Have a good time, both of you.
Angie

Dragon

michagin
Most of the pet shops I've dealt with will allow you to return items that won't work for you. I've even returned opened food that the animal wouldn't eat with no problems.
Yes they are pretty good about that....however wed have to travel 100 miles to get sissy and her supplys lol

Dragon

michagin
Lucky grandson having a grandma like you. He is going to learn all sorts of fun things which will be so useful when he grows up. Have a good time, both of you.
Angie
yes my grandson and i had a great time! im having a little trouble with my scroll saw but we managed to get one project cut out and another one started.....His first fret work project( cutting out detal in the middle of the wood like inbetween animal legs and such if that makes any sense to anyone who dosnt know anything about scroll sawing....then he told me he wanted to learn how to sew....with a sewing machine... so we went into the craftroom picked out some materal and he made his first pillow. lol His moms been teaching him to hand sew... but they have like 3 sewing machines at there house so next time im there i'll take a look at them and get one set up for him. I told him if you can scroll you can sew lol the only difference is with the scroll saw the blade going up and down cuts the wood and with a sewing machine the needle going up and down sews things together.....and you want to make sure you keep your fingers away from both the blade and the needle lol

Dragon

michagin
Thanks for the info....I was actualy gald when i read your and others posts about when there torts sort of hibenating... Sissy hasnt done that yet but now i wont go into a panic should she decide to. She has been much more active since we corrected the lighting heating lamps... and shes eating good to.. Im still trying to find plans or pictures of 2 story tort houses that we can use or adapt to turn sissys house into a two story tort house. I know she will be even happyer once she has the room she needs..... and then come summer we'll see what we can do about getting an outside set up for her. Im almost done with her first tort cozy...its made to look like a leporcon hat just have to check to see how long to make the belt ahh got a go dogs would like to go out and the get there dinner!! lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info....I was actualy gald when i read your and others posts about when there torts sort of hibenating... Sissy hasnt done that yet but now i wont go into a panic should she decide to. She has been much more active since we corrected the lighting heating lamps... and shes eating good to.. Im still trying to find plans or pictures of 2 story tort houses that we can use or adapt to turn sissys house into a two story tort house. I know she will be even happyer once she has the room she needs..... and then come summer we'll see what we can do about getting an outside set up for her. Im almost done with her first tort cozy...its made to look like a leporcon hat just have to check to see how long to make the belt ahh got a go dogs would like to go out and the get there dinner!! lol
I hope you will be taking photos of Sissy's hat - I am trying to think of something for Zola's birthday hat, so maybe I will be able to get ideas from you !
Angie

Dragon

michagin
I will defently take pictures of sissys hat after shes finished eating I have to get her and mesure the strap to get it the right length. humm well you could make her a birthday party hat, or a birthday cake hat.... if she would like a pretend friend you could make her a hat with a little tort or some other animal on it.....Iv read where there are leashes for your tort....im not so sure how well those work....just going around the shell whith wise im concerned that it might slip off and so far i havent figured out a safe and comfortable way to add length wise to make it sort of a harness that she couldnt slip out of..... hum a hat with candles on it for how old she is maybe......or maybe a hat with the face of a teenage munit nija turtle on it ( when my kids were little they loved that cartoon and the movies lol) or have the rat standig on her hat..... maybe a hat with a palm tree on it and some blue for water with or with out a small tort under it, sunbathing or sipping on a drink. ... or go funny and make a tub on the hat with a tort bathing..... I dont know what kind of hats she already has or how experenced you are at crochet knitting or sewing lol maybe put wings on making her a flying tort.... humm im sure you cn think of just the right hat for her and her personality lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I will defently take pictures of sissys hat after shes finished eating I have to get her and mesure the strap to get it the right length. humm well you could make her a birthday party hat, or a birthday cake hat.... if she would like a pretend friend you could make her a hat with a little tort or some other animal on it.....Iv read where there are leashes for your tort....im not so sure how well those work....just going around the shell whith wise im concerned that it might slip off and so far i havent figured out a safe and comfortable way to add length wise to make it sort of a harness that she couldnt slip out of..... hum a hat with candles on it for how old she is maybe......or maybe a hat with the face of a teenage munit nija turtle on it ( when my kids were little they loved that cartoon and the movies lol) or have the rat standig on her hat..... maybe a hat with a palm tree on it and some blue for water with or with out a small tort under it, sunbathing or sipping on a drink. ... or go funny and make a tub on the hat with a tort bathing..... I dont know what kind of hats she already has or how experenced you are at crochet knitting or sewing lol maybe put wings on making her a flying tort.... humm im sure you cn think of just the right hat for her and her personality lol
Thank you very much for all your ideas for Zola's hat (he is a boy tortoise, by the way, but that doesn't mean I can't do girly things, occasionally - he doesn't mind ). I am not very good at sewing, and mostly I use staples or glue. I like your idea of a palm tree and water - I am also thinking about your leprechaun one, which would mainly be green felt - is this for St Patricks day ? I just let Zola wear the hat for a few minutes while we take photos - then the photos get sent to his friends on line -he has his own email address - and the hat gets put out of his reach ! So I don't need to have a strap to fix it on him - just a bit of sticky tape for a few minutes.
Here is Zola with a hat I made him for his birthday 3 or 4 years ago. He is 21 now - 22 in July, so I have a bit of time to decide - and then think about all your other ideas.
Angie_IMGP6616-Edit.jpg

Dragon

michagin
oh that is so cute!! now with sewing i need some kind of a pattern to follow. I figure I can use the st pattys day hat i just crocheted for her as a pattern. you are a much better sewer then i am lol I could never make something like that without a pattern. I only had one high school sewing class and the rest i iv learned from reading books lol I dont always do it the way its suppose to be done but most of the time it comes out ok lol my youngest daughter took sewing and design in collage....she made my oldest daughters wedding dress it was beautiful!! I hate it when she calls to ask me a sewing question...i tell her you know more about sewing then i do!! lol The biggest problum i have is with my sewing machine....for some reason i always wind up getting theard tangled up in bibbon holder... very annoying and my daughter cant figure out why. lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
oh that is so cute!! now with sewing i need some kind of a pattern to follow. I figure I can use the st pattys day hat i just crocheted for her as a pattern. you are a much better sewer then i am lol I could never make something like that without a pattern. I only had one high school sewing class and the rest i iv learned from reading books lol I dont always do it the way its suppose to be done but most of the time it comes out ok lol my youngest daughter took sewing and design in collage....she made my oldest daughters wedding dress it was beautiful!! I hate it when she calls to ask me a sewing question...i tell her you know more about sewing then i do!! lol The biggest problum i have is with my sewing machine....for some reason i always wind up getting theard tangled up in bibbon holder... very annoying and my daughter cant figure out why. lol
I'm glad you like it - I don't have any pattern - I just make it up - but the blue stuff was card, and I got some white felt and braid - and the seahorse is a brooch of mine - hardly any sewing. I make it in plain paper at first, to get the size right. Fortunately Zola seems to have stopped growing, so anything I make now will probably go on fitting him,
and I can use the basic thing to make something different. I am hopeless with a sewing machine, and my fingers are not as flexible as they used to be, so hand sewing is no fun.
Angie