I'm a New Russian T - Mom any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I'm a New Russian T Mom, and i just want to make sure i'm doing the "BEST" for her.

I have her in a 3' x 2' rubbermaid container, using Aspen pellets for substrate, w/ a separator to some bed-a-beast, also have thrown in some Timothy Hay for grazing and borrowing.

I have a nice size water dish, so she can soak if she needs or just go to the potty.

Feeding her a mixture of Kale, Collards & Dandelion leaves along w/ putting some broken Cuttlebone in for calcium. Waiting for the Weed Mixture to come from Turtlecafe.

I have the UVB lamp and a heat lamp.

I've had her for 2 weeks now and she seems pretty happy and healthy.

Anyone have any suggestions? ? ? ? Always willing to learn more.....

Thanks for any help.

Her name is GT

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sounds pretty OK to me, any pics of your setup?

Welcome to your new addiction. ;D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Chilieo!

First off congrats on your new one!! Russians are sweet little torts.

Until the weed mixture comes in, I would go heavier on the dandies and a tad light on the kale. As I recall kale is one (like spinach) that binds the calcium. This makes the tort unable to use it.

Like Anja said, this is an addiction. Seems few can stop at only one tort. Your also going to find we have lots of conflicting advice to give you. The main reason is because so much about the care of these wonderful creatures is still being learned. Plus what works for Keeper A doesn't work for Keeper B. Always keep that in mind, try different things and see what works for you and your special one.

Really glad you have joined us!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
JustAnja said:

Welcome chilieo and GT.
Yep, sound pretty good. What are the temps in her encosure and as Anja said, pics would help. We like pics:)
How old and what size is GT (I'm just being nosey):rolleyes:

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Crazy1 said:
JustAnja said:

Welcome chilieo and GT.
Yep, sound pretty good. What are the temps in her encosure and as Anja said, pics would help. We like pics:)
How old and what size is GT (I'm just being nosey):rolleyes:

Thanks EVERYONE! ! ! !

I'm glad I found a place that understands this "strange" fascination with these great creatures.

She is very friendly and likes her head scratched. Here's a few pix of her.
l_29205d4b53ea97a9829b93927daa0c9b[1].jpg
l_3791093e9d4395c31a68d139ae4ce5d3[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
I got her from Petco, after the Eastern Painted Turtle I had purchased passed away:( only after 2-weeks. So I couldn't stand looking at the empty aquarium. The girl at the store told me she was probably about 6 mos to a year old.

I am currently trying to grow my own food for her. I have Kale, Escorle, Collards, and waiting for the weed mixture via "snail mail"; along w/ Timothy Hay.

GT is GREAT, very inquisitive. I also have 2 Jack Russell Terriers, they are always trying to see her, and when she was in the aquarium, GT was always trying to see them. WOW! ! !

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hope you don't consider this bad news in any way, but GT does not look like a 6-12 mo. old. Looks to me like a WC (wild caught) adult, which is what most stores do sell. Notice how her shell isn't nice and smooth, but rather has nicks and dents? I consider those character marks, because they tell a little of the story of her life.

Sorry to hear about the Paint, but think your going to love this little character.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Jacqui said:
I hope you don't consider this bad news in any way, but GT does not look like a 6-12 mo. old. Looks to me like a WC (wild caught) adult, which is what most stores do sell. Notice how her shell isn't nice and smooth, but rather has nicks and dents? I consider those character marks, because they tell a little of the story of her life.

Sorry to hear about the Paint, but think your going to love this little character.

Thanks for the info, i'm still so ignorant, BUT learning everyday about these wonderful creatures.

Should I have any concerns about her shell? ? ? Is there anything I should be doing for her shell? ? ? Her shell is not soft.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Her shell is fine, nothing to worry about. Just as Jacqui said, tell tale signs of a WC animal. ;) One little suggestion I have as well here is to get her off of those rabbit pellets. If she eats them, they are really not good for her and they mold easily from urine. They also dont help with any moisture/humidity. I would suggest using coco bedding mixed with sand or even cypress mulch mixed with sand for her. :)

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
JustAnja said:
Her shell is fine, nothing to worry about. Just as Jacqui said, tell tale signs of a WC animal. ;) One little suggestion I have as well here is to get her off of those rabbit pellets. If she eats them, they are really not good for her and they mold easily from urine. They also dont help with any moisture/humidity. I would suggest using coco bedding mixed with sand or even cypress mulch mixed with sand for her. :)

Thanxs... WHEWW started to worry about her shell.....Any suggestions as to sites where to get the substrate (bed-a-beast) in bulk to help to cut the cost. I could probably get the sand from the Lowes/HomeDepot.......

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats on your new addition! Sounds like you are off to a great start! You will enjoy your GT! Welcome to the wacky world of tort owners!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JustAnja said:
Curiosity here, I know rabbit pellets are bad, but she said these are Aspen pellets. Are they equally bad? I have never used any of the pellets so have no experience with how they hold up or anything.

Didn't you also say you do have at least part of her cage already with the bed-a-beast?

Not sure where you can get it cheapest. I just buy the three brick pack normally at Petco or Earl Mays (it's closest only 40 miles instead of 80ish...cost more, but saves on time/gas). Always amazes me how big one of those tiny bricks can expand to. When you mix it 50/50 with sand it does help it go a bit further, along with helping keep in moisture.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ya know I completely spaced when she said Aspen pellets and when I saw the pics. I have no idea on Aspen pellets. Ive never seen or heard of them, but being pellets I would think they would mold easily just as aspen will. I dunno. Anyone else seen or used Aspen pellets?

It definitely wont be good for her if she decides they are tasty as I think compacted Aspen like that would expand and cause a possible blockage. Just my thoughts.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
FYI - Aspen Supreme Pellets are a blend of fresh aspen wood particles. They are proven more absorbent than pine, cedar or recycled paper and they have a natural ability to inhibit mold growth. They are 100% biodegradable, and flushable in small quantities. Use as bedding/litter material for all types of small animals and birds.

Yes I also have about 1/4 of enclosure w/ Bed-A-Beast. I think i might goto All Bed-A-Beast mixed w/ Repti-Bark and sand.

I've added a Wood Log so she could use it as a "cave". I'd like to add some flat rocks for exercise also.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Russians do like to hide. Mine are always burrowing under something. Just be careful on your rock placement. Don't want anyone to flip and not be noticed. She could get burned or injured if too close to heat light.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad your thinking of going with the entire cage with the bed-a-beast or soil/sand combo. I know what packaging says, but often the experience of people actually using it aren't the same. Take that pretty colored reptile calci sand that seems to impact geckos and such. It may be perfectly find to use, but I have some serious doubts in my feeble mind.

The combo can be a bit messy at times, but I like it for the humidity and just looks comfortable for them digging into it.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Jacqui said:
Glad your thinking of going with the entire cage with the bed-a-beast or soil/sand combo. I know what packaging says, but often the experience of people actually using it aren't the same. Take that pretty colored reptile calci sand that seems to impact geckos and such. It may be perfectly find to use, but I have some serious doubts in my feeble mind.

The combo can be a bit messy at times, but I like it for the humidity and just looks comfortable for them digging into it.

Sorry, Jacqui - - i'm alittle confused. So should i just do the bed-a-beast w/ sand from the HomeDepot and forget the bark? ? ? Or what combination should i go with? ? ? Your INPUT is GREATLY APPRECIATED.....

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I would suggest the coco/sand mix all over. It holds moisture well for humidity. You can mix some cypress mulch in if you would like. I do use it in some of my setups.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JustAnja said:
I would suggest the coco/sand mix all over. It holds moisture well for humidity. You can mix some cypress mulch in if you would like. I do use it in some of my setups.

This would be my opinion also.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
JustAnja said:

OK, so what is the approximate coco mix to sand ratio? ? ? ? 50/50, 75/25......

Status
Not open for further replies.