I'm a Turtle Hoarder

Jesika

Location (City and/or State)
Cumming, Georgia
Hey there! Name's Jesika and I am a turtle hoarder. I just got my new Sulcata Hatchling Crockett today! He's quite the active little guy. My Russian Tortoise Tubs is a little piglet and could always go for a good snack. I started with my 2 Red eared sliders Padmae and Tracer about 4 years ago and that's what started my love for turtles and tortoises. I also have a bearded dragon named Shannox and he's a jerk. But a cute jerk.

I'd love to hear some advice on raising my new Sulcata hatchling I've got the basics all down but it's nice to get some more tips on raising the little guy.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @Jesika and welcome to the forum.

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. This would enable us to help you/give you advise more easily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I sure hope you don't really fit into the hoarder catagory. That usually means animals are suffering. Tortoise/turtle enthusiast is a better term if you give good care.
Now, about your basics you said you got. If you got them some place other then this forum, they may be all wrong and out dated. Please read all the threads the other members linked for you so you truely can give the best care and not turn into a hoarder.

Jesika

Cumming, Georgia
I use the term "hoarder" very lightly. All my babies are spoiled trust me, they go to the vet twice a year for checkups even. I got pretty much all my information on these forums actually, I'm not a fan of the "information websites" I often see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jesika!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey Jesika, welcome from the Heart of Texas! I keep the redfooted. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485956266.482812.jpg Shellie is the dark one with red legs and yellow/orange head, and Tucker I the lighter shell one with darker legs and red head. He is Brazilian cherryhead. They are 19 months old spending the last winter (i think depending on how fast and how much they grow) in their "sauna tank"indoors. They were living outside in their tortoise garden this past summer, only coming in at night to sleep in their warm/humid rainforest. I planted 40 gal terrarium for them. Anyway, your group is so diverse. Looking forward to getting to know you and your crew

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
At just 7 tortoises I'm only a hoarder, junior grade.
take it from another keeper of multiple tortoises. Vet visits aren't cheap. Only go if you think there is a problem and even if the vet thinks there is a problem, get a second opinion.(here)
A healthy tortoise or turtle kept in good condition will stay healthy.

Last edited:

Jesika

Cumming, Georgia
Hello and welcome.
At just 7 tortoises I'm only a hoarder, junior grade.
take it from another keeper of multiple tortoises. Vet visits aren't cheap. Only go if you think there is a problem and even if the vet thinks there is a problem, get a second opinion.(here)
A healthy tortoise or turtle kept in good condition will stay healthy.
Yea I like to take them for check ups just to keep up with all of them. My exotic vet usually wont charge me for individual visits if I bring them all in at once so he's pretty nice about it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yea I like to take them for check ups just to keep up with all of them. My exotic vet usually wont charge me for individual visits if I bring them all in at once so he's pretty nice about it.
Wow! How lucky for you!! I took mine fir their first baby well check visit and it was 65$ per baby tort!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's fantastic.
No matter why I go in, I always come out $300 lighter. Give or take.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I too have always used vets that have given me "herd rates" for my tortoises when needed. Once they felt I knew quite a bit about proper care and was well experienced with tortoises/turtles they no longer charged per turtle or tortoise.