I'm back with a beautiful new leopard hatchling

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
I joined the form back at the beginning of February with hopes to find some answers to why my girlfriends Little Leopard hatchling wasn't eating I found out quite a lot in the last few months and she even seemed to be doing better after the pedia carrots soaks I was optimistic she was going to pull through however I found out along the way that she had hatchling failure syndrome which is pretty much a death sentence According to some of the more experienced members in here

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I joined the forum back at the beginning of February with hopes to find some answers to why my girlfriends Little Leopard hatchling wasn't eating I found out quite a lot in the last few months and she even seemed to be doing better after the pedia carrots soaks I was optimistic she was going to pull through however I found out along the way that she had hatchling failure syndrome which is pretty much a death sentence According to some of the more experienced members in here .... anyway I didn't give up but she did eventually pass at the end of March I had no clue that a little turtle could steal my heart like Cleo did and also didn't realize until we got our new hatchling how sick she really was our new little hatchling came from a reputable source tort stork . Com... they have really exceptionally beautiful and healthy torts.... as soon as I got her out of the box since she was sent in the mail we soaked her and then fed her and she devoured her food with such aggression it was amazing to watch her eat and still is she's very strong and likes to dig little holes to borrow in and is very active I swear she would eat all day if I kept giving her food....lol... here's some pictures of her enclosure I just got a thermostat in the mail which I wired up and made a box for it and for her dimmer switches well for her basking light the thermostat runs the c h e for night Heat everything seems to be self running and dialed in here's some pictures of her and the new enclosure I want to thank you guys for kind words of encouragement after Cleo passed may she rest in peace..❤?20200413_173015.jpg20200413_174108.jpg20200413_174143.jpg20200413_173309.jpg20200413_173627.jpg20200413_173845.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
It's really great of you to keep trying and not just give up! I've heard some sad stories online before.... but it looks like your new hatchling has a good life to look forward to if you love them enough to research their care!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I joined the form back at the beginning of February with hopes to find some answers to why my girlfriends Little Leopard hatchling wasn't eating I found out quite a lot in the last few months and she even seemed to be doing better after the pedia carrots soaks I was optimistic she was going to pull through however I found out along the way that she had hatchling failure syndrome which is pretty much a death sentence According to some of the more experienced members in here
I don't see a pic?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's because I accidentally hit post too soon but then I reply to my comment so look at my reply to my own Post and the pictures are on there
Ok I see. Congrats man. Looks like you got your temps and humidity dialed in too.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Ok I see. Congrats man. Looks like you got your temps and humidity dialed in too.
I was a little worried though the humidity may be too high it gets up to 93% sometimes and I read they can get respiratory problems with the humidity is too high I'm trying to keep it under 80 they said 70% to 80% is good

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was a little worried though the humidity may be too high it gets up to 93% sometimes and I read they can get respiratory problems with the humidity is too high I'm trying to keep it under 80 they said 70% to 80% is good
Na, let the humidity go all the way to 100% if you want. Use whatever book you read that in to prop up a wobbly table you might have, or Kindle to start a fire ?

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
If you pop the top on your enclosure a little it will lower the humidity. I pop the corner of my enclosure and it drops the humidity down, I was getting near 90% and I had a night with my new enclosure where the temp dropped below 80 and sure enough our little guy got a respiratory infection and now he's on antibiotics. I have a large 4' x 2' x 2' enclosure and I had to go with two CERs hon thermostats to keep the temp at the right level. Good luck with Rosie!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I looked it up online for Max humidity settings for a leopard hatchling
I raise all my hatchlings and babies in humidity that averages 90% - 100%. The thrive in virtual 100% humidity. That is what they seek out under plants where they hide for protection.

The problem is high humidity combined with lower temperatures. Keep the temperature above 80° as a minimum and you will not have any issues.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
yeah I keep it at 80 at night sometimes I put it up a degree to make sure that it doesn't drop below 80 so basically Teeters back and forth between between 81 and 82 to make sure she's warm enough no matter where she is in the tank

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I raise all my hatchlings and babies in humidity that averages 90% - 100%. The thrive in virtual 100% humidity. That is what they seek out under plants where they hide for protection.

The problem is high humidity combined with lower temperatures. Keep the temperature above 80° as a minimum and you will not have any issues.
and thanks for that advice the internet just probably assumed it was humidity that gave it respiratory I forget where I ran into that something I looked up on Google real fast

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA

Attachments

• Maxonarrival.jpg
    Maxonarrival.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • Maxonlog.PNG
    Maxonlog.PNG
    9 MB · Views: 21

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So happy that you got a new family member. How wonderful...