Im finding little balls in my encloser

Truntle

Location (City and/or State)
Lake elsinore ca
I'm finding little bbs in my Russian tortoises encloser, anyone know what they could be?

Attachments

• 20211022_150154.jpg
    20211022_150154.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
  • 20211022_150205.jpg
    20211022_150205.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm finding little bbs in my Russian tortoises encloser, anyone know what they could be?
Does your tortoise also have an outdoor enclosure? Is there a California pepper tree anywhere near the outdoor enclosure?

Truntle

Lake elsinore ca
This is where he sleeps, I bring him out during the day. I also a lid for it.

Attachments

• 20211022_174848.jpg
    20211022_174848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20211022_174831.jpg
    20211022_174831.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Home depot, mulch, when I pop the balls they have liquid in them
They look like either hydration pellets or slow-release fertilizer.

Either are theoretically harmless to come into casual contact with, but neither should be eaten. Pick out all of the ones you can find and change out the substrate to coco coir packaged for reptiles with a top layer of fir bark chips or cypress mulch.

I suppose they could be a plant seed or slug egg, but if you have not seen them before and your set up is indoors, my money would be on hydration pellets that have swelled up when you added water.

ETA: They may be slug eggs.

glassbird

Seacoast area of New Hampshire, USA
A lifetime of working in family owned commercial greenhouses makes me believe that they are fertilizer pellets. They are really a marketing technique...fertilizer could be added to soil/potting mixes much more efficiently by smaller, less visible methods...but people like seeing them. They feel like they are getting something extra.

As to what they contain is anyone's guess. I would definitely not allow them in an enclosure. (I have seen my tortoise eat similarly-sized Styrofoam pellets that had stuck to the long fur on one of my cats, and then fell into his enclosure on the floor as the cat ambled by.) Whatever is in your pellets will do your tortoise no good.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I would not chance any of it, I'd be replacing the medium first off.
Fertilizer,
Moisture Pellets/balls,
Snail/ slug egg's NO thanks.
Too risky with all of it, just go with the fir Bark

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It‘s possible what you are seeing are seeing are fertilizer “prils”. The most common brand is Osmocote.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Home depot, mulch, when I pop the balls they have liquid in them
This why I say that bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used for tortoises. There is no way to know what is in it.

You should have no trouble finding orchid bark in bulk here in SoCal at a nursery. Not a hardware store, but a nursery. If not, you can buy the big bags of repti-bark on Chewy.com.

He really needs a much larger indoor enclosure, or he needs a temperature controlled night house with a basking lamp for outside. Its all explained here: