I'm going to buy a tortoise, but I have a question for it

Makootakoo

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm going to buy a Russian Tort, and I just want to know if me being in Upstate NY (def not an ideal temperature) if it would be fine to take him out of his exhibit every once in a while, probably just once or twice a day for no longer than an hour, but probably more like 30 mins, outside is optional.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I'm going to buy a Russian Tort, and I just want to know if me being in Upstate NY (def not an ideal temperature) if it would be fine to take him out of his exhibit every once in a while, probably just once or twice a day for no longer than an hour, but probably more like 30 mins, outside is optional.
Just curious...where are planning on getting a russian tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the warmer months, it would be great to house the larger juvenile or adult tortoise outside full time with a temperature controlled shelter for nights and cooler days. Babies should be kept mostly in their indoor enclosures, but they can have an hour or two outside in a safe enclosure too. The tortoise should never be loose on the floor or loose outside. Bad things will surely happen.

Here is the correct care info:

Be sure to buy from the right source. Few people start babies correctly and this can have monumental effects on their health later. I highly recommend @Carol S and @biochemnerd808 I know we have a few other people producing some babies here annually too, and most anyone on this forum will have healthy babies to sell you. I would avoid pet stores, and the majority of the online sellers. Do a search here on the forum in the vendor review section before buying from anyone. A few of our members here have a great reputation, but you will also clearly see the online sellers that have not done it well too.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
You can absolutely handle your tortoise, just be mindful of temperature, especially in the summer when the AC is blasting. After a morning soak and before their meal is a good time. They like being on a routine and will associate you quickly with food. Even if you buy an adult, it's a good idea to weigh him weekly to be sure he's not losing weight in his new home.

Makootakoo

New York
In the warmer months, it would be great to house the larger juvenile or adult tortoise outside full time with a temperature controlled shelter for nights and cooler days. Babies should be kept mostly in their indoor enclosures, but they can have an hour or two outside in a safe enclosure too. The tortoise should never be loose on the floor or loose outside. Bad things will surely happen.

Here is the correct care info:

Be sure to buy from the right source. Few people start babies correctly and this can have monumental effects on their health later. I highly recommend @Carol S and @biochemnerd808 I know we have a few other people producing some babies here annually too, and most anyone on this forum will have healthy babies to sell you. I would avoid pet stores, and the majority of the online sellers. Do a search here on the forum in the vendor review section before buying from anyone. A few of our members here have a great reputation, but you will also clearly see the online sellers that have not done it well too.
Thanks so much for the help, Would Tortstork be an okay place to buy my tortoise? From what I've seen it looks pretty good and I'd prefer to buy from an established place than just a random person on here

Makootakoo

New York
You can absolutely handle your tortoise, just be mindful of temperature, especially in the summer when the AC is blasting. After a morning soak and before their meal is a good time. They like being on a routine and will associate you quickly with food. Even if you buy an adult, it's a good idea to weigh him weekly to be sure he's not losing weight in his new home.
Ok I'll keep that in mind, thanks so much for the help