Im looking to adopt a Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey guys, im from Montana && Im looking to adopt a Sulcata. I tired looking on craiglist, but there havent been any.. If you are out of montana are you willing to ship? Or does anyone know of a website that will let you buy && ship the tortoise to you without it being over $170? Thanks:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Montana? not the best place for a giant tort that needs heated winters and large areas to be healthy...
If you cant afford $170, how are you going to afford thier enclosure, barn, shed and heat?
sorry...

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Im 17 and ill be moving to Fl when im 18, and it takes severals of years for a tortoise to grow.. lol && I already have all the equiement for the tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ah.. ok.. that makes more sense... you might want to wait till you get to Fl tho.. it will be easier on the tortoise not to make such a long move.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Laura said:
ah.. ok.. that makes more sense... you might want to wait till you get to Fl tho.. it will be easier on the tortoise not to make such a long move.

Yes I agree on that:)

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Try www.turtlesale.com
They have great quality, fair price, and safe/affordable shipping. I think if you have what you need to start raising a baby sulcata you should go for it.
With proper planning, a move to Florida shouldn't have any significant negative effects on it, especially while it is still young.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would wait to get the baby until you are in Florida as well. Theres enough to worry about when moving, let alone moving from Montana to Florida with a baby sulcata to bring along with you. Theres plenty of sources here on the forum that you can get a baby sulcata from. Theres Austin (Arizona Sulcata), Tom (Tom), Kelly (Tortadise), and from myself. Theres probably others here that have some available but I cant remember. I sell my babies for 50 dollars plus shipping, which usually runs around 50 dollars as well, and thats around the price range the others sell theres at too. Hope this helps.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I would wait to get the baby until you are in Florida as well. Theres enough to worry about when moving, let alone moving from Montana to Florida with a baby sulcata to bring along with you. Theres plenty of sources here on the forum that you can get a baby sulcata from. Theres Austin (Arizona Sulcata), Tom (Tom), Kelly (Tortadise), and from myself. Theres probably others here that have some available but I cant remember. I sell my babies for 50 dollars plus shipping, which usually runs around 50 dollars as well, and thats around the price range the others sell theres at too. Hope this helps.

Yes thats a good idea, im going to wait:)
&& sweet! :D I will be contacting you guys when i moved to FL.
Thanks!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! I would have to say I would wait till florida is in sight. The most crucial key to having the best years and starting them off right is from the very beginning. Florida sunshine is perfect as well as the humidity. Good luck in your endeavor. I would have to say though. if your going to college down there in 4 years a sulcata can get quite large so make sure you prepare for the future as well when going down to florida and getting a little guy.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
tortadise said:
Welcome! I would have to say I would wait till florida is in sight. The most crucial key to having the best years and starting them off right is from the very beginning. Florida sunshine is perfect as well as the humidity. Good luck in your endeavor. I would have to say though. if your going to college down there in 4 years a sulcata can get quite large so make sure you prepare for the future as well when going down to florida and getting a little guy.

:)) Im going to FL to probably live in a Appt with a roomate, because all my friends are older && ill make sure he hads plenty of sun && everything he needs:) I have a tortoise name todd now so i gotta make sure i can get a place that i can care for todd. My dad is shipping todd to montana on Monday because he wants me to care for it, so im going to set up his cage then post it on here to see what you guys think :D
Should i use a heating pad or a type of light at night? Because i know it hads to be dark at night but i want him to have heat at night also. Thanks

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
At night a ceramic heat emitter is a good source for nightime heat. The red, blue, or white bulbs, keep them awake and can stress them out because they are not getting a natural day and night time affect. Heat pads do work, but will not heat the ambient temperature and cause respiratory infections if the ambient temperature is cool and the ground temperature is warm. I would go with a CHE during night and a mercury vapor bulb during the day or put him on the balcony for natural sun during the day. In a predator proof enclosure of course.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
tortadise said:
At night a ceramic heat emitter is a good source for nightime heat. The red, blue, or white bulbs, keep them awake and can stress them out because they are not getting a natural day and night time affect. Heat pads do work, but will not heat the ambient temperature and cause respiratory infections if the ambient temperature is cool and the ground temperature is warm. I would go with a CHE during night and a mercury vapor bulb during the day or put him on the balcony for natural sun during the day. In a predator proof enclosure of course.

Alright thank you! :)
I already brought a light bulb for the day time off of Ebay which should be here anyday. Its the UVA Basking Spot Lamp Bulb, is that okay?! && usually during the day if its not too cold ill put him outside until it gets cold out all the time then ill have to leave him inside.

bigt0706

5 Year Member
Dover, fl 33527
MovieActor said:
Try www.turtlesale.com
They have great quality, fair price, and safe/affordable shipping. I think if you have what you need to start raising a baby sulcata you should go for it.
With proper planning, a move to Florida shouldn't have any significant negative effects on it, especially while it is still young.

holy prices , looks like they take u to the cleaner

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
bigt0706 said:
MovieActor said:
Try www.turtlesale.com

holy prices , looks like they take u to the cleaner

Hahaha :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I thought I would add my two cents worth. If you are getting another sulcata tortoise, later on down the road, you will have to keep them separated and it is my understanding that sulcatas do not do well in groups of two. There is usually bullying that goes on that is hard for people to see. It is better to have them in groups of three and even then there can be problems, I know from experience. So my advice is to make sure that you have enough room to keep them separate. With a one year difference between them that will mean you have to start out with separate enclosures and as your baby gets old enough to put with your older one they might still have to be separated because of bullying unless you have at least three. :)

antonio650

5 Year Member
i have a sulcata that i am willing to ship. i will give you him for a cheap price. he is missing a toenails. and his beak is deformed but he is still healthy. all u need to do is chop his food up for him

ashleyp0922

5 Year Member
antonio650 said:
i have a sulcata that i am willing to ship. i will give you him for a cheap price. he is missing a toenails. and his beak is deformed but he is still healthy. all u need to do is chop his food up for him

Do you have any photos?

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
MovieActor said:
Try www.turtlesale.com

this site is very expensive!:(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There's only one little issue with that. It's illegal to transport African Sulcatas into Florida. My suggestion is to check with Dept of Fish and Wildlife in Florida first, then plan to get your sulcata from Florida.

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.