I'm making my redfoot a service animal

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have anxiety. My doc has told me that I can get a service animal, so I am choosing my redfoot . She will be so cute :)

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
This is likely a different between our two countries then. Canadian businesses (airlines, restaurants, etc.) can reject emotional support animals (but not service animals) if they aren't trained for service.
In my state I'm pretty sure that businesses can NOT decline emotional support animals

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This is likely a different between our two countries then. Canadian businesses (airlines, restaurants, etc.) can reject emotional support animals (but not service animals) if they aren't trained for service.
I think that's also a law here, I've seen places refuse snakes as support animals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have another member that if I'm not mistaken has their tort as their support animal. Not sure if it officially is, but he does just that for them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The ADA considers such “emotional support animals” to be distinct from psychiatric service dogs, and treats them differently. The ADA does not grant emotional support dog owners the same right of access to public places that it gives to individuals who use psychiatric service dogs. That means that under the ADA, a movie theater, for example, must allow psychiatric service dogs to accompany their owners into the movie auditorium but can refuse to admit individuals with emotional support dogs.

So I would assume this for any support animal.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
The ADA considers such “emotional support animals” to be distinct from psychiatric service dogs, and treats them differently. The ADA does not grant emotional support dog owners the same right of access to public places that it gives to individuals who use psychiatric service dogs. That means that under the ADA, a movie theater, for example, must allow psychiatric service dogs to accompany their owners into the movie auditorium but can refuse to admit individuals with emotional support dogs.

I will definitely research that.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Ok question. Can she be a service dog if I have a brain injury?

Only a service dog can be a service dog. Other species of service animals exist but service tortoise don't exist as they can't go through the training required. If you need a service animal, there are experts you can talk to - your family physician or therapist can start that discussion with you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the ADA clearly states then a service animal must be trained to do a service emotional support animals are not covered under the ADA

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

You beat me to this..

I am glad to hear that your tortoise brings you emotional comfort.
I am also glad that you are being properly informed of the differences between an ESA and true service animal.

**Fake service dogs are a huge pet peeve of mine.**

Just last week a fake service dog attacked my dog. If I hadn't known how to handle it and my dog wasn't 100% obedient, it would have gone so wrong.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Only a service dog can be a service dog. Other species of service animals exist but service tortoise don't exist as they can't go through the training required. If you need a service animal, there are experts you can talk to - your family physician or therapist can start that discussion with you.
Ehhh I meant service animal lol