Im mostly sure my tort is female but she is headbutting.

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
hi evreyone! my tortoise charlie is a girl (im prighty sure) but she is now just starting to head but. with from my research only males do. please help me i would really appreciate it. Charlie

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Honestly, forget about the torts gender for the next 3-4 years. That said, if it is male, it may show its penis sooner. Ramming afaik is not a behaviour limited to males, but I am curious to see what others say about it.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Honestly, forget about the torts gender for the next 3-4 years. That said, if it is male, it may show its penis sooner. Ramming afaik is not a behaviour limited to males, but I am curious to see what others say about it.
ive kinda already anounced charlie was a girl though

CharlieS2020

Ontario
do you know how to send a photo becuse you could tell me if there is more female or male i could psot a picture. but i dont know how

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
do you know how to send a photo becuse you could tell me if there is more female or male i could psot a picture. but i dont know how
Too young to tell.

Males and females both can ram things with their shell. In what circumstance is this happening?

Tortoises should never be loose on the floor. This is likely the cause of your tortoise pressing the glass and flipping. Keep the tortoise in its enclosure.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Too young to tell.

Males and females both can ram things with their shell. In what circumstance is this happening?

Tortoises should never be loose on the floor. This is likely the cause of your tortoise pressing the glass and flipping. Keep the tortoise in its enclosure.
hi i bring my tortoise out on my floor to walk around or get some shell rubs from me. when she is out on the floor she is supervised. in what circumstances would a female tortoise headbutt? Charlie had never head but me but i noticed her headbutting a wall in her enclose and a few more things. I would love if you wrote back saying why a female tortoise would head but, because ive only heard of males doing it. Charlie

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
hi i bring my tortoise out on my floor to walk around or get some shell rubs from me. when she is out on the floor she is supervised. in what circumstances would a female tortoise headbutt? Charlie had never head but me but i noticed her headbutting a wall in her enclose and a few more things. I would love if you wrote back saying why a female tortoise would head but, because ive only heard of males doing it. Charlie

Female tortoises are also territorial and will repel intruders to their territory in the wild. Just because they are female doesnt mean they dont fight. But more importantly, your tortoise could be either male or female, you will not be able to tell until it is 4-5 years old, your declarations are irrelevant sadly.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Female tortoises are also territorial and will repel intruders to their territory in the wild. Just because they are female doesnt mean they dont fight. But more importantly, your tortoise could be either male or female, you will not be able to tell until it is 4-5 years old, your declarations are irrelevant sadly.
thanks for the replie can i jsut contiue calling charlie a girl until proven wrong?