I'm New and could use some advice on our baby sulcata tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattik

5 Year Member
I we have a baby sulcata tortoise that is about 4 months old now. We have had him for a few months and he was doing good. Now he doesn't want to eat and he is not being active at all ..I keep his enclosure around 85.He has the uva/uvb bulb and heat bulb. We soak him 3 times a week. Any suggestions? [/font]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello...there are threads below my signature that will answer your questions...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of bulbs? If they are the coil type get rid of them and replace with mercury vapor bulb or fluorescent tube bulb. What are you feeding him? How often are you soaking him? What is the humidity? What size enclosure and what substrate are you using?
Threads below in my post are Toms. Try to get your humidity and temps as stated in his threads.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Have you noticed if your baby has been pooping and urinating in his soaks? Please update details so that we can help you better.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The uva/uvb is good enough as long as it is not a coil type bulb. Your temps are not near warm enough. You need to have 3 temps...105 basking...90 warm...80 cool...humidity needs to be at 80%. For a sulcata so young i would suggest 1-2 warm sokes daily. This could be the problem. This is why i suggested to read toms threads in the first place.

pattik

5 Year Member
I would like to thank you all for the information it is very helpful. I have him in a zoomed tortoise house. My uva/uvb bulb is the coil type the heat light is not. I will get a new bulb asap..We have for substrate the coir and moss and some hay...We took all the hay out and put more moss down..In the last few soakings he is drinking but not defacating.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If all the temps are what they should be, then I suspect there's not enough soaks. You can soak him twice daily for 30 minutes. If he's not eating, I would try some baby food soaks. How long (days) has it been since he last ate and defecated? Are you sure about his temps? Do you have a temp gun?
pattik said:
I would like to thank you all for the information it is very helpful. I have him in a zoomed tortoise house. My uva/uvb bulb is the coil type the heat light is not. I will get a new bulb asap..We have for substrate the coir and moss and some hay...We took all the hay out and put more moss down..In the last few soakings he is drinking but not defacating.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That is where part of the problem is i suspect. The coil bulbs are bad. If you still have it i would suggest not turning it on at all. Not till you get a new one. They have been known to cause blindness in baby torts. What are you feeding your little one? Grasses? Weeds? Turnip greens, collard greens, endive, arugla, darkk leafy greens..mazuri, grassland tortoise food?

Status
Not open for further replies.