I'm new here and need some help!

Sherlock's Family

Earlier this year, my husband acquired a tortoise whom we were told was about 13 years old. Her name is Sherlock. We don't know much about them, but we are guessing she is a sulcata from pictures we've been reviewing. Since we got her, she's been fine with eating, sleeping and climbing. Lately, however, my husband noticed that she wasn't really eating. Because of this, she hasn't been urinating or moving her bowls. She seems lethargic and hasn't really been climbing. This has been going on for about a week and we are concerned. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Where are you?
What size tortoise?
How are you heating and housing it at night? During the day?
What are you feeding it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi , and welcome to the forum!

We'll need to see pictures of Sherlock to be sure we're giving the the correct info for your tortoise's species.

If it truly is a sulcata, you'll have to provide her with heat now that the days are getting shorter and cooler. They come from a pretty warm-all-the-time area of Africa, and don't do well in the cold.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello family of Sherlock and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Sherlock himself.
As has already been said, temperature is the most likely culprit here, so your 4 temps ( basking spot, hot side, cool side and night time low) would be useful as would be photos of your enclosure.
Hope it all works out for the little guy.

Sherlock's Family

Hi, all and thank you for the responses. We live in Northern New Jersey. Sherlock lives in an aquarium-type tank, which is apparently what she's been living in for the past 13 years with her previous owners as that is what she was given to us in. The lighting consists of three different bulbs, however, one of them recently broke and we have not replaced it. In the daytime, we do not put light on her. I usually turn on her lights around 4:30 in the afternoon until around 10:30pm. We usually feed her romaine lettuce and carrots. I gave her a cut-up grape the other day as a treat to cheer her up and she ate that. I've attached some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20150917_152107_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152107_hdr.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20150917_152148_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152148_hdr.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20150917_152229_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152229_hdr.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 19

Keith D.

Arizona
Def a sulcata, badly pyramided which is sad, looks like your enclosure is to small, a 4' x 8' probably would be minimum size. Soaking daily for 30min to a hour would be a plus. Daily sun exposure is a must. What are u feeding?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do in fact have a sulcata, but it has metabolic bone disease from years of incorrect husbandry. Sorry to be the bearer od bad news, but you need to know so you can do something about it.

Here is the correct care info for this species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Immediately, your tortoise needs:
1. A MUCH larger enclosure.
2. Proper substrate.
3. Much better diet.
4. Proper heating and lighting equipment day and night.
5. The correct temperatures day an night.

Here are some diet suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello and welcome,
Sherlock is a lovely lady but she really is in need of some urgent TLC and much more space, but you have found the best place possible to help you provide that so I'm sure she is in good hands with you.
Please follow all advice above and in the links Tom has given you - he really knows what he is talking about.
Torts need uvb to help with digestion and to absorb all the good stuff in their diet.
I use a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) which gives light heat and vital uv rays in one convenient bulb. (No coil or loop type cfl bulbs as these damage torts' eyes).
At night I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat to keep the temp even. This gives just heat as torts need darkness to sleep.
The Enclosures thread will give you some great ideas on how to house her in bigger, healthier conditions, with substrate, a hide and plants etc.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good website for finding out which plants are tort safe or toxic.
All the advice may sound daunting at first but it is worth it to make Sherlock a happier and healthier tort.
Good luck to you both!