I'm new here, and...

I got a Greek tortoise, approximately 2 weeks ago, today. A female, 5 months. We went to a PetSmart, in Coral Springs, Fl, and got her. A few days later, the poor thing went downhill. After taking her to the vet because she wasn't eating or drinking water, we got some shocking results. Low in potassium, low in basically everything. All her blood work showed abnormalities. The day we went and got her, we were told that she had gotten in the day before and was screened and passed through the works and she was good to go. Now, 3 days after that, she has major kidney issues, severely dehydrated among other things. When I called to let them know that, basically they all lied about her health and they robbed us, all they could say was "bring her back for a refund." A REFUND!!! After spending $400 in one week, setting up everything and taking her to the vet, a refund! Anyway, I took her in today, for a check up again, she's been getting sunlight, calcium, vitamins, force feeding her with baby food by syringes, she has some more energy. I can only be hopeful that she will survive. 5 months is too soon for her to be dying. I love her. She will make it, because I will never stop trying.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you have it under control, but I'd like to offer you another option besides the baby food. Ask your vet for Critical Care. Most vets carry it. It consists of ground up plants and weeds that herbivores would eat. You would mix that into a paste thin enough to push through a syringe and force feed just like you've been doing with the baby food.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . It looks like your getting enough advise for now . Good luck with your new baby

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Thank you, everyone. We are outside getting some sun at the moment but Rabbit chooses to bury herself under some rubble. Get it together girl! You need that Vitamin D :)

Attachments

• 1401120172794.jpg
    1401120172794.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7