I'm new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello,

My name is Allie. My fiancé and I adopted a Greek Tortoise from Petsmart 2 weeks ago.

The vet told us she is female, roughly three years old. Her name is Ruby.

She's currently being given an ointment on her eye because the left eye was sealed shut a few days ago. She is opening it now, but the skin around her eye is yellow. ): We feel very bad for her and are doing our best to get a quick recovery!!

She has not had an appetite for the past three days (when the eye problem started). Our vet said that is normal behavior for a tortoise, especially if they are feeling stressed. Poor thing! Ruby normally loves eating spring mix lettuce; it's her favorite! We live in PA, and she's been enjoying time outside when the climate permits, and she likes to eat clover from our yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) do you know if the store had a coil bulb in their enclosure? If so, that is probably the cause of the eye problem. So, be sure you don't use any coil type bulbs. Also, give as wide a variety of a diet as possible. If you post a pic of her underside, tail area, we might be able to tell you if your vet was right on the sex. Most vets, don't know a lot about tortoise, specially if its not an exotic reptile vet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome,to T.F.O.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Allie!

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania, USA
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) do you know if the store had a coil bulb in their enclosure? If so, that is probably the cause of the eye problem. So, be sure you don't use any coil type bulbs. Also, give as wide a variety of a diet as possible. If you post a pic of her underside, tail area, we might be able to tell you if your vet was right on the sex. Most vets, don't know a lot about tortoise, specially if its not an exotic reptile vet.

UGH! The store sold me a coil bulb.

I'm a first-time owner, so I had no idea they were harmful. What about it causes problems?

I will get a new one soon, any recommendations?

Also, I asked the vet what the best substrate to use is, and she told me to use the felt-like carpeting, because it's easy to clean. Does that sound right? Ruby seems to really like the soft texture, but her enclosure went from looking like the outdoors, to looking like a furnished apartment. haha

I'm attaching some photos of her, including her tail. I hope she's a girl because the name is already so cute!

ruby2.jpg
ruby3.jpg
ruby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Most people make some noob mistakes. Dont beat yourself up about it just move forward and fix the problem. The bigger problem is that very few pet store employees have any clue how to care for tortoises, but still sell inappropriate products and give inappropriate advice. Dont listen to them. Take some time and read read read posts related to your questions and species.

clucey

5 Year Member
Aloha welcome to the forum. Your in the right place. I went to get some suppliments at the pet store here and the person said to feed him lettuce. I was fortunate to have found the forum ans have been supported completely with open arms and frank advice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello allie and Welcome to TFO!!! :) Ruby is really beautiful

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Allie and welcome. I know Ruby's eye will get better, and you'll be able to have a great time enjoying your Greek. Make sure to take pics and share. As a side note, if you ha e a dog, plan on getting a dog, ot allow people to bring their dog to your home, then you need to read it.

clucey

5 Year Member
@sibi...i never did find the thread on other animals but in less than a month of being on the forum I havr heard some heartbreaking stories about other pets....enough to know that Tank is in better health without other pet contact. Thank u

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.