Im not sure if i should get a new tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
After loosing two babies in a month without really knowing the reasons even i took it to vet. Im not sure If i should get a new baby tortoise. It was really stress and depressed moments for me in passed month. I told vet everyhthing about my husbandary but there seems to be no problems with that. So i think its just stress from shipping and in fact babies just have lower chances of surviving. It also costed alot for me since im a student.
Right now Im looking for a places near me and A vet recommended me a place called fauna nyc in manhattan. Its really a big place with exotic pets. There are not many places in nyc with exotic pet specially tortoise. I went to several other places like petco petsmart, and small places. But they only have juvenille russians that really doesnt look healthy. After looking at their tortoise I saw one star tortoise, marinated tortoise, and cherry head tortoise. If im getting a tortoise my choice will be marinated tortoise. But im not really sure yet....

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
My recommendation (as always for anyone thinking about acquiring any new pet) is research...then research some more. After that, research again!

Don't take this the wrong way, but as others will undoubtedly agree, the vast majority of so-called "unexplained" baby tortoise deaths can be attributed to human error in captive husbandry. I don't say that to point or wag a finger in your face and claim "Its all YOUR fault!" but we all make mistakes (I know I have). I thought I knew enough to care for a baby sulcata tortoise...until I joined this forum a couple months ago and discovered many of the things I always believed were true about tortoise care were in fact, inaccurate. For everything we think know, there's still so much to learn. It seems I learn something new every day on this site.

All of that said, after you've done some research, you may want to look back and evaluate the care you offered your previous two babies. Maybe there was something you may not have gotten exactly right, maybe they were just wild caught imports that were doomed from the start [shrugs]...who knows?

It does seem that for beginner tortoise keepers, getting a slightly older animal may be a better choice than a tiny hatchling.
---------
Personally, I would not purchase a tortoise from a big chain petstore (unless it was just a severe case of life or death and my conscious wouldn't allow me to leave without rescuing the animal)....because that would just encourage the store to get in another tortoise they would keep in subpar conditions. That may be a harsh outlook on my part, but just my personal view on the matter. Just like buying baby RES from the local flea market...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am sorry for the loss of your two tortoises. Nothing against your Vet, but some Vets really are not all that up on tortoise care. Did you happen to run by us, how you took care (old memory here)?

My suggestion would be to first, completely sterilize whatever your last tortoises were in. Then after doing a bit of research, I would recommend getting an older animal. They are more hardy. I would recommend a Russian myself, to get your feet under you, to gain confidence, and because they are actually nice hardy tortoises. Just don't rush to fill that empty enclosure that is staring you in the eyes or to ease the hole in your heart or the feeling of failure. Take the time to give yourself a chance to do more research and to come across that tortoise that "just speaks" to you. There is no rush.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Just as an FYI, Marginated tortoises can get pretty big: 8-12" at full growth. I'm not sure if you have an outdoor area, but you will probably need one for a Marginated. I think they are one of the easier tortoises to care for, but you should do your research first (look at Russian care if you can't find much on Marginateds). I think they are great tortoises and my daughter and I love ours.

Russians are also nice tortoises, but I would not recommend getting one from Petsmart or Petco. First off, those are not juveniles, despite what they represent. All of what they sell are fresh wild caught adults with unknown histories, and they will need a trip to the vet for a fecal exam for parasites. There are some captive bred out there, but you will have to pay more, or you can get a wild caught from a more reputable seller or a private person. I personally love Russians, but I would factor in a vet visit when getting one because of the wild caught issue (about $75 in my location for visit and fecal).

I think that you should think about getting another tortoise but I think you need to do your research and I think you need to choose an older and easier tortoise to care for. One thing that really worries me is that you don't seem to have processed what happened to your other tortoises, i.e. you don't clearly describe what the vet said about the last one. That tells me that you really need an animal whose care is less complicated. To me that means no babies and nothing very exotic. I would definitely not recommend a star or a cherry head. It's ok. One of the reasons I like Marginateds and Russians so much is that they do well in my climate and I basically just need to encourage that and enjoy the tortoises.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ShiningSnakes said:
My recommendation (as always for anyone thinking about acquiring any new pet) is research...then research some more. After that, research again!

Don't take this the wrong way, but as others will undoubtedly agree, the vast majority of so-called "unexplained" baby tortoise deaths can be attributed to human error in captive husbandry. I don't say that to point or wag a finger in your face and claim "Its all YOUR fault!" but we all make mistakes (I know I have). I thought I knew enough to care for a baby sulcata tortoise...until I joined this forum a couple months ago and discovered many of the things I always believed were true about tortoise care were in fact, inaccurate. For everything we think know, there's still so much to learn. It seems I learn something new every day on this site.

All of that said, after you've done some research, you may want to look back and evaluate the care you offered your previous two babies. Maybe there was something you may not have gotten exactly right, maybe they were just wild caught imports that were doomed from the start [shrugs]...who knows?

It does seem that for beginner tortoise keepers, getting a slightly older animal may be a better choice than a tiny hatchling.
---------
Personally, I would not purchase a tortoise from a big chain petstore (unless it was just a severe case of life or death and my conscious wouldn't allow me to leave without rescuing the animal)....because that would just encourage the store to get in another tortoise they would keep in subpar conditions. That may be a harsh outlook on my part, but just my personal view on the matter. Just like buying baby RES from the local flea market...

ya I agree, So im planning to buy juvenille one and when i get used to this, i will get babies later. Is golden greek with 3-4 inches good size?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
cyyoung749 said:
ya I agree, So im planning to buy juvenile one and when i get used to this, i will get babies later. Is golden greek with 3-4 inches good size?

I don't know anything about Greeks, so I'll let someone else tackle that one.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ditto what Jacqui said. Plus, after sterilizing the enclosure, throw out the old substrate and replace it with new. Decide what type of tortoise you are going to have before you set up your enclosure, because they have different requirements for heat, humidity, substrate, light, food, etc. Research that specific type of tortoise and learn all you can before getting another one. Last but not least, don't beat yourself up. It may or may not have been your fault. You will never know for sure. Just do your best and ask for help when you need it in the future. You can post a "wanted" ad on the forum when you decide what you want. Since it is winter/cold right now you might want to consider waiting until it warms up before shipping if you can't get one locally from a good breeder. That would also give you time to read and research, and prepare. Good luck Cy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many times I will talk to someone on the phone or by email about a tortoise or reptile problem and everything about their set up seems perfect. When I go there and see things first hand, I usually find all sorts of things that need "improvement". Sometimes everything sounds good on paper, but there are subtle things that are learned through years of experience that can make a big difference. There are a million "details" that just can't be covered in an internet care sheet.

Just like everyone else, not trying to point any fingers or blame anyone, just trying to share experiences that I have had that might help you. Is there a tortoise "nerd" near you that could come and see your set up in person? I have really been able to help a few people and their tortoises this way.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Lulu said:
Just as an FYI, Marginated tortoises can get pretty big: 8-12" at full growth. I'm not sure if you have an outdoor area, but you will probably need one for a Marginated. I think they are one of the easier tortoises to care for, but you should do your research first (look at Russian care if you can't find much on Marginateds). I think they are great tortoises and my daughter and I love ours.

Russians are also nice tortoises, but I would not recommend getting one from Petsmart or Petco. First off, those are not juveniles, despite what they represent. All of what they sell are fresh wild caught adults with unknown histories, and they will need a trip to the vet for a fecal exam for parasites. There are some captive bred out there, but you will have to pay more, or you can get a wild caught from a more reputable seller or a private person. I personally love Russians, but I would factor in a vet visit when getting one because of the wild caught issue (about $75 in my location for visit and fecal).

I think that you should think about getting another tortoise but I think you need to do your research and I think you need to choose an older and easier tortoise to care for. One thing that really worries me is that you don't seem to have processed what happened to your other tortoises, i.e. you don't clearly describe what the vet said about the last one. That tells me that you really need an animal whose care is less complicated. To me that means no babies and nothing very exotic. I would definitely not recommend a star or a cherry head. It's ok. One of the reasons I like Marginateds and Russians so much is that they do well in my climate and I basically just need to encourage that and enjoy the tortoises.

They dont really said why is sick but my second tortoise had some kind of stone stuck on its belly and the vet said it could be cause of the death. They told me my husbandary was good. I researched about a month before getting my tortoise. The first one died in like 4days? and second one just became sick...

DesertGrandma said:
Ditto what Jacqui said. Plus, after sterilizing the enclosure, throw out the old substrate and replace it with new. Decide what type of tortoise you are going to have before you set up your enclosure, because they have different requirements for heat, humidity, substrate, light, food, etc. Research that specific type of tortoise and learn all you can before getting another one. Last but not least, don't beat yourself up. It may or may not have been your fault. You will never know for sure. Just do your best and ask for help when you need it in the future. You can post a "wanted" ad on the forum when you decide what you want. Since it is winter/cold right now you might want to consider waiting until it warms up before shipping if you can't get one locally from a good breeder. That would also give you time to read and research, and prepare. Good luck Cy.

Thanks man. Im going for greek again. This time golden greek 3-4 inches pretty big one....

Tom said:
Many times I will talk to someone on the phone or by email about a tortoise or reptile problem and everything about their set up seems perfect. When I go there and see things first hand, I usually find all sorts of things that need "improvement". Sometimes everything sounds good on paper, but there are subtle things that are learned through years of experience that can make a big difference. There are a million "details" that just can't be covered in an internet care sheet.

Just like everyone else, not trying to point any fingers or blame anyone, just trying to share experiences that I have had that might help you. Is there a tortoise "nerd" near you that could come and see your set up in person? I have really been able to help a few people and their tortoises this way.

I think your right. Theres something you cant learn from internet. It takes alot of time to be a expert. Thanks man

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cyyoung749 said:
They dont really said why is sick but my second tortoise had some kind of stone stuck on its belly and the vet said it could be cause of the death. They told me my husbandary was good. I researched about a month before getting my tortoise. The first one died in like 4days? and second one just became sick...

A stone like a stone it swallowed or like a kidney type stone?

So you have at this point decided on a Greek. Great! :D

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
What kind of stone? This was diagnosed and then your tortoise was euthanized correct? What options were discussed for treating the stone? Why or why not did you choose to pursue any of those options? I don't mean to pick on you, but health issues occur with older tortoises as well, and it is important that you fully understand exactly what occurred with your last tortoise and what options were available for treatment so that you are prepared. I understand that you may not know what happened with the first tortoise, but the second died under the care of a vet, and I think you should at least understand the diagnosis and the treatment options that were provided to you before you go through this process again. I'm not going to accuse you of any lapses in husbandry, but I am worried about your lack of understanding of what happened from a medical standpoint. If it were my tortoise, I would be able to describe exactly what it was the vet described and exactly the options for care that had been provided. In addition, the diagnosis would provide me with some clues as to what had occurred, i.e., a lack of hydration, something congenital, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.