I'm not the expert I pretend to be

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I would cringe if I kept track of what I spent on not just torts, but pets in general. But they make me happy so I cannot care about money. I get more enjoyment out of our pets than just about anything else! And sometimes the little critters eat better than I do!
I'm afraid that my girlfriend is going to realize that my $900 estimate for a tortoise shed has turned into $1500 in actual costs, but yet I never propose because rings and weddings are too expensive...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm afraid that my girlfriend is going to realize that my $900 estimate for a tortoise shed has turned into $1500 in actual costs, but yet I never propose because rings and weddings are too expensive...

Once you are married, she'll go buy a $600 pair of shoes and a $900 purse to punish you…

Ask me how I know this...

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
In the last week I've noticed there is no topic more frustrating than keeping multiple sulcatas and/or multiple species together. Just like here it is one of the most asked questions, but unlike here the discussion is a free for all. Every time it gets asked there are several people that will chime in with a no, but there is ALWAYS at least one person who had been doing it that then takes this as a personal insult and proceeds to use their singular experience to prove that it is 100% safe. Logic and level headed debate is almost always wasted on these people.

Oh, and here is a fun one. A couple of days ago I had someone engage me directly in response to a talk about humidity. He told me I was wrong about them needing humidity. The real cause of pyramiding is a combination of over feeding and not "hibernating" your sulcata.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Can you give a link to that facebook page? I can't find it. God i am so low tech

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Can you give a link to that facebook page? I can't find it. God i am so low tech
I'm apparently not better. I can't seem to figure out how to do it on my phone. I will do it tonight from my laptop.

That being said, you aren't missing much. It is fun to see so many pictures of sulcatas scrolling through my Facebook feed, but the content is awful iffy. It sure doesn't beat the forum.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
But sometimes we just need to see iffy to know how grateful we are can overcome this things in our life. * i find this sentence weird, my poor english, hope it is understandable.

And hopefully if people are more open, we can give slight hint to make things better, like what you do. At least i am trying to support any right info that being bully there.

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
To add to this conversation, I also find that some who are providing advice on this site can be pretty tough and at times judgemental and even condescending.

I adopted my Sulcata from YvonneG just four years ago. She has always been kind and patient with what I'm sure seem like inane and even silly questions. Thanks YvonneG!

I sometimes will not post in the public forum because I just don't feel like navigating all the snarky and know-it-all comments from some.

I certainly appreciate the knowledge base - but would appreciate a bigger dose of kindness. I'm a newbie!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
To add to this conversation, I also find that some who are providing advice on this site can be pretty tough and at times judgemental and even condescending.

I adopted my Sulcata from YvonneG just four years ago. She has always been kind and patient with what I'm sure seem like inane and even silly questions. Thanks YvonneG!

I sometimes will not post in the public forum because I just don't feel like navigating all the snarky and know-it-all comments from some.

I certainly appreciate the knowledge base - but would appreciate a bigger dose of kindness. I'm a newbie!
I really feel most of that "tough and judgemental" is really just examples of how easy it is to come across poorly on the internet. I think the simple fact that those people take the time to answer questions shows that they care about both you and your tortoise.

I do think that YvonneG comes across as a very patient person and that maybe some of us (including me) could take a lesson or two from her.

This brings about a point in line with the original theme of the post. That most of us are probably not the experts we pretend to be. Reading some care sheets and participating in the forums doesn't make anybody an expert and when even the people with the most experience say that they are still learning each and every day, then we are all better off recognizing that we are all here to learn together.

So post away, speak your mind, and don't put too much stock in perceived judgements. Remember there is nothing anybody can say here that truly impacts your life. If somebody is rude, just remember it is simply words from an anonymous person that you will never likely meet.

legan52

Chicago
In the last week I've noticed there is no topic more frustrating than keeping multiple sulcatas and/or multiple species together. Just like here it is one of the most asked questions, but unlike here the discussion is a free for all. Every time it gets asked there are several people that will chime in with a no, but there is ALWAYS at least one person who had been doing it that then takes this as a personal insult and proceeds to use their singular experience to prove that it is 100% safe. Logic and level headed debate is almost always wasted on these people.

Oh, and here is a fun one. A couple of days ago I had someone engage me directly in response to a talk about humidity. He told me I was wrong about them needing humidity. The real cause of pyramiding is a combination of over feeding and not "hibernating" your sulcata.

Hey! I think I defended you on FB! I'm in that same group, I think, because there was a rather rude guy arguing about that exact topic. I can tell some members of that group are on here because people reference the care sheets, but it's hard to connect exactly who is who.

-Laura E.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I recently joined the FB Sulcata, leopard and Russian pages. It is beyond frustrating. I state my opinion, bases for the knowledge, and do my best not to argue with those determined to spread bad info. I have considered leaving the group's, but am trying to just keep offering better info to anyone who wants to listen.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My friend runs Guinea Pig rescue and finds the facebook rabbit and guinea pig pages just as bad for misinformation and opinionated ill-informed know-it-alls who are thoroughly unpleasant to others.

That said, I left another forum for tortoises after I witnessed newbies being given a hard time once to often. The worst offenders were the mods and that was why I had to go.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The real cause of pyramiding is a combination of over feeding and not "hibernating" your sulcata.

I have repeatedly proven, without a doubt, that it is NOT the food. So has Dean and about 1000 other people on this site alone.

When dealing with someone like that, I post lots of pics and ask them to explain why my tortoises are smooth and healthy when I've never hibernated them and fed them all wrong according to their plan. Then I show them multiple pics of my older tortoises that were fed according to this old outdated advice and ask them why they are so pyramided.

It is exactly this non-sense that fueled my fire to discover what causes pyramiding. I did everything "right" by their advice, and failed every single time. Yet the guys raising them outside in FL and Louisiana, where the humidity is suppose to kill them and give them shell rot, have the healthiest, best looking sulcatas in the country.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Hey! I think I defended you on FB! I'm in that same group, I think, because there was a rather rude guy arguing about that exact topic. I can tell some members of that group are on here because people reference the care sheets, but it's hard to connect exactly who is who.

-Laura E.
Yes, you did, and I told you not to bother because I had long since pegged him for the type that could stare the facts in the face and tell them they were wrong. I make it a point to not waste too much breath on people like that.

Sorry if I sounded too bossy when I told you not to bother. It was mostly annoyance that he was still running his mouth.

Not too long after that he or a mod deleted all his threads and comments on that whole status.

- Brandon

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I have repeatedly proven, without a doubt, that it is NOT the food. So has Dean and about 1000 other people on this site alone.
But I bet you weren't taking lack of hibernation into account. That might have been your missing puzzle piece...

This makes me really afraid this guy is sticking his two year old sulcata in the fridge soon.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
My friend runs Guinea Pig rescue and finds the facebook rabbit and guinea pig pages just as bad for misinformation and opinionated ill-informed know-it-alls who are thoroughly unpleasant to others.

That said, I left another forum for tortoises after I witnessed newbies being given a hard time once to often. The worst offenders were the mods and that was why I had to go.
I'm a member of a guinea pig page and a couple of times they have said something to give me pause, but I know way less about them them I do tortoises. So I stay silent and wonder if I had it wrong all along.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I recently joined the FB Sulcata, leopard and Russian pages. It is beyond frustrating. I state my opinion, bases for the knowledge, and do my best not to argue with those determined to spread bad info. I have considered leaving the group's, but am trying to just keep offering better info to anyone who wants to listen.
I mostly try not to engage most people directly, but some situations bring out the debate in me.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona

Thank you Jim exactly what I was trying to say in this post ! I am so glad to see its not only me that see's this happening ! ;) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/want-one-light.148217/#post-1403652

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona

Thank you for re-iterating what I was trying to say here ; http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/want-one-light.148217/#post-1403652

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Maybe we all could use a lesson in tone and reading comprehension sometime. I know I am probably just as guilty as anyone at this. I sometimes have a tendency to skim through anything that is longer than a few sentences, and then come to faulty conclusions based off what I THOUGHT that I read.