I'm scared HELP! Sick tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannana

5 Year Member
I got a new RF tort and he has not been eating normally for a week! He was eating great the first week I had him now he hasn't eatin much the past week he pooped a couple days ago and is drinking and getting soaked in warm water daily I am also letting him walk around and watch him for around 30 minutes a day. He is walking faster and more then my YF but my yf is eating fine. They share an enclosure and are divided. The temps are 80 and humidity is 80 percent. He only ate 4 bites of spring mix today nothing yesterday.What should I do!!! I can't sleep at night!ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368247419.502840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would boost your temps 5 degrees. This may only be achieved by adding a lid. I keep my red foot at 82-84 24/7. Usually closer to 84. What are your night temps?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Sometimes, when babies come into a new environment, they may react strangely at first. Your daily soaks are good. Keep the right temps for him, and keep offering new, fresh food daily. So long as he's drinking, and active, I'd just watch him for a few days and see if he'll start eating normally. Keep us posted.

What's the substrate you're using? Do you have a top to hold in the heat and humidity? If you don't have a temp gun, I suggest you get one. It's the only way to get true temps. It's also possible that it's just too cold for him especially if you are losing heat.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
where are you letting him walk around? could it have gotten into something? needs warmer... less bright light... no coil.

bannana

5 Year Member
If I am to ad a lid the lights would be blocked and the night temps are far to low they are only 73 degrees I will take care of that now!!

Laura said:
where are you letting him walk around? could it have gotten into something? needs warmer... less bright light... no coil.

I let him walk around my living room which I watch and don't leave him longer then a min. Less bright light? I don't use a coil.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
73 is too low, and with high humidity you will end up with a sick tort. You may need to re design your enclosure so that you can incorporate the proper lights. I use a 75w basking on a timer for my daytime lights and a 150w CHE on a thermostat for night or when day temps are too low just using the light.

bannana

5 Year Member
Why isn't my yf reacting if the temps are wrong?

theelectraco said:
73 is too low, and with high humidity you will end up with a sick tort. You may need to re design your enclosure so that you can incorporate the proper lights. I use a 75w basking on a timer for my daytime lights and a 150w CHE on a thermostat for night or when day temps are too low just using the light.

Typed that before I saw yours yes I found my Che and turned that on

75 w vs 125 w is wat I have so wouldn't that make it colder?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Tortoises hide symptoms pretty well, some better than others. Just boost those temps and keep up with soaks, and in a few days hopefully the appetite will kick back in.

bannana

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Tortoises hide symptoms pretty well, some better than others. Just boost those temps and keep up with soaks, and in a few days hopefully the appetite will kick back in.

Ok thanks for helping

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He doesn't have to show any reaction, but it doesn't mean your yf is not affected by the cool temps. I would redesign your enclosure. You are allowing all the heat out the top. What I've done is put on a lid, draw an outline of where the lights have to go, cut out the circle, and have the lights hang overhead. You can still use the fogger by cutting out a small hole to insert into the enclosure.

bannana

5 Year Member
Ok sounds like a good idea and im pretty sure wat to do but would u mind if I saw your enclosure as an example anyway?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
All you have to do is click on my user and, go to threads, find one of the first threads on Baby Runt, and you'll be able to see how I set up his tub. If you still can't find it, I'll post a new pic for you tomorrow, ok?
bannana said:
Ok sounds like a good idea and im pretty sure wat to do but would u mind if I saw your enclosure as an example anyway?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Enclosure ideas can be seen at: http://tortoiselibrary.com/

I agree with all the advice others have provided you so far. I maintain 80-82ºF for the cool end of my enclosure and 84-86ºF at the warm, bright end. You can see the general idea of my design in my signature.

Bump those temps up a bit and see what happens. Also, how varied is their diet? Sometimes they can get a little bored with food options. Some really great outdoor weeds and horticultural plants can be used for food items, just make sure you get the plant identification right. Here's a great database: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Hesh1212

5 Year Member
Is it bad not to have to have a top on? I don't have one and I'm worried the temp gets to low at night when I turn the lights off. The temp usually gets to

theelectraco

5 Year Member
78is too low. What is the temp when using your CHE? I would use a lid. The Redfoots really need the humidity and without a lid your humidity will probably never be high enough unless your running a fogger 24/7

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My night time temps are about 75 .. I do use the red heat lamps one is pretty low and has a warm spot of 80-82 , sometimes he will sleep under that .. Sometimes he goes to a cooler corner 70.

I would definatly raise temps 85-90 for a baby with a basking spot of 90-92. Try offering some strawberries ...chop up small with spring mix. I recommend getting some Mazuri. You can order direct from them. About $15 delivered to your door ...should last a few months since you won't be feeding a lot ".2-3 times a week a few pellets soaked in water with greens and carrot puree mix together to make a Mazuri meatball

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While it is really important to get a young tortoise started right, you can make yourself crazy trying to get there.

Not eating is usually a temporary thing, just being in a new place can knock them off food for a week, which is basically just missing a couple meals to you or me. Focus on the housing and environment first. Get your temps to average in the mid-80's during the day. It is OK if they drop some at night.Get your humidity nice and comfortable, etc.

In the meantime, try to let your little one rest with as few disturbances as you can reasonably get away with.

When he is calm and de-stressed, and feels comfortable, he will eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.