Im Soo Mad..Another Pet Store Horror Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So i went to the pet store down the street to get some calicum powder for Spunky. They have about 6 baby hatchling sulcatas in a ten gallon tank with about 4 or 5 bearded dragon babies. As if thats not bad enough theres no hides and no water a available and one baby sulcata had a baby beardy by the front leg biting him. I told the people there what was going on. An employee came over and looked at the two and just moved the naby beardy out of the sulcata hatchlings way. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING. Theres also a baby redfoot in a maybe 12 in by 12 in square glass enclosure. And another sulcata about as big around as a saucer pyramided terribly bad in a 10 gallon tank . None have hides or water a available. :( Is there nothing that can be done to help them? It makes me so mad i could cry. Poor babies. I tried talking to them, the store employees but to no avail. They are only in it for the money. I looked online at there reviews its AWFUL. Heres a few pics i took..
IMG_20130726_113007_0.jpg

Im sorry bigger tort had water.

IMG_20130726_113003_0.jpg

IMG_20130726_112932_0.jpg

The baby redfoot also had water. I guess i was so up set i dosnt notice.

IMG_20130726_112850_0.jpg

See beardy on top of plant.
IMG_20130726_112717_0.jpg

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am sorry you had to see that. Its going to be very hard to get off your mind. I really do not understand stupid people!! They just dont care at all!! Or they do not know what they are doing!! Again, so sorry you had to see that.Its heartbreaking. I wish we could save all of them!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Omg they were asking a small fortune for them. It breaks my heart. Youd think if they did this for a living theyd take care of there stock. It makes me sooo sad.

Penn

5 Year Member
That's terrible [FACE WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH][TIRED FACE][POUTING FACE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would call the authorities, an animal welfare group in your area or anyone else I could call to report them. Before you do that, give them one heads up that you are going to report them if they don't get those animals set up in better conditions. If they don't, with in a couple days, go for their throats and don't stop until they are gasping. The RF with water, what's their point, the tort probably can't reach it anyway, that's torture. Remember, you are the only voice for those animals. Keep yelling for them until someone listens.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I see this all the time in pet stores around me here in Michigan. I know I cant save them all but I always kindley tell a sales person or cashier of the situation. I do it in a way that doesnt point blame on them. So I usually say something like "Somebody forgot to..." Works sometimes :)

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Did it mention on the sullys how massive they get?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I talked to them and was as nice and polite as i could be. I told them theyd be much happier with a hide and at least some coco coir for substrate. And i told them id be willing to even help. But nothing
a couple employees looked at me like i was crazy. I asked if the baby redfoot could be placed in at least a ten gallon tank, apparently not. They just left it there. :( Who can i call?

@ ladyjean22 of course not. No info at all. Just prices on tanks $139.00 for hatchling sulcatas and hatchling red foot and $249.00 for pyramided older sulcata about the size of a saucer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Even if you did call somebody, I don't think they would or could do anything. I will play devil's advocate here... The redfoot has water and can get into it, if I see right it's the type of dish with steps. The big sully has water. Okay, no water with the little sulcatas, but maybe they get soaked off enclosure/off store hours. What was the dish to the far right in the small sulcatas/beardie enclosure? A food dish or water? The tanks all look clean. The animals all look very much alive and healthy (pyramiding would not be considered an issue for abuse). Yes, room is cramped, but it's a temporary place, not a permanent home. Plus I am not sure there is any law saying how much space they must have nor that they must have hides. Certainly looks like more room then I see at most reptile shows and the animals at shows usually don't have hides either. (You can't sell what folks can't see) I agree things are not what I would like to see, but I also do not see violations of the law.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Except the Beardie being eaten by the sully. That should be against some kind of law. Also, although its not the worst conditions, they should still be hounded enough to make them change things for the better. At least the beardies being housed separate from the torts and water always available, which with most animals is a must or a law is broken. Not sure if those same laws apply to reptiles or not. Never hurts to try, doing nothing, always hurts.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is no proof of the tortoise trying to eat the beardie. Also I don't think the laws usually apply to reptiles in the same way as other animals in most locations. That dish could be used for water that you can see with the babies. No law against beardies in with tortoises (boy would zoos be in trouble). No law against tortoises eating their cage mates either (it just is not good business practice when you want the public to buy the animals). Heck my old dragon was missing a leg because his cage mates ate it (other beardies).

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Some good points raised about the legal points. That would be most likely the only way to get them to change their habitat. . Though I bet they are selling the sullys as medium sized torts... I hate hearing about that

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
They may not be breaking the law but youd think they would show a little more compassion for the pets they are trying to make a living off of. Its not reccomended to keep sullys and beardies togother is it? Especially since they the sullies can and do inflict injurie to them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sissyofone said:
They may not be breaking the law but youd think they would show a little more compassion for the pets they are trying to make a living off of. Its not reccomended to keep sullys and beardies togother is it? Especially since they the sullies can and do inflict injurie to them.

You would think they would, but that's not always the case as we all know. It's never "recommended" to keep different animals together, especially when you add in a confined/small space, but it's done every day. :(

I think the only thing you can do is to keep talking to the folks (nicely and in an nonjudgmental sounding way). Sharing care sheets is a great thing, too.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Im going to print off some of Toms care sheets and take them by there. Like you said maybe if i take a different approach, The out come will be different. Its at least worth a try. Thanks to all for your advice.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Trying is a great thing, even if it appears nothing is done or learned by them, you may actually plant a little seed in their minds that will germinate at a later time. Good luck!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you so much Ms. Jacqui. I plan on going there tomorrow and talking with them and taking some of Toms printed out care sheets. Will keep everyone posted.

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Good luck! Hope you can help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.