Im such a softy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Got a soft shell today. I'm assuming he won't keep the nice pattern.

I have no idea the type, or care requirements.

but whatever they are i will accommodate so don't worry!

any info? hope i didn't buy a dinosaur! lol

Picture791.jpg

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
does anyone have any idea?

couldn't find a thing on the internet, how about a good source for general care?

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
woot!
would it be a good idea to go pick up the other one or do they prefer to be alone?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you plan to keep the little guy inside, be sure to keep the water extra, extra clean. Softshells are very prone to shell rot and fungus. If the turtle is going to be a pet, its best to keep it as a single turtle. However, I have a pond outside (just a big mud hole dug by a backhoe and filled with water) that's about 20'x35' and in the pond are 6 very large female RES, several male and female Actinemys marmorata (rescued and rehabbed, but for one reason or another not able to return to the wild), a Phrynops hillari and three almost full grown Florida softshells. The only aggression ever shown by any of the turtles, softshells included, occurs at hand-feeding time. They are all so frantic to be the one who gets what's on the tongs, that someone usually gets bitten, but its a food related thing, not active aggression.

Softshells are truly aquatic, and usually don't come out to bask, but that's not to say that they don't need a basking platform. I catch mine up on the bank frequently. In the wild, they like to bury themselves in the sand near the bank, then when they need to breathe, they just stretch up their long neck and with just the nostrils reaching above the water, take a breath, keeping their bodies buried. They are very good swimmers, and can chase and catch a fish with ease. I feed mine cooked, cubed chicken, night crawlers, water plants and trout chow (now called Aqua Max Carnivorous). Its not a good idea to feed too many gold fish as commercial gold fish contain too much iodine.

Thanks for the picture. Lovely little creature!

Yvonne

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for the tips, he is currently with my slightly larger mississippi map turtle.
do i need to seperate them?

the tank is a 40 gallon.

Minotaur

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Marquette, MI
I would separate them just out of caution. Even if they aren't aggressive toward each other softshells are prone to getting scratched accidentally by tank-mates (it's also worth noting that softshells are generally very aggressive with conspecifics), and any cut on a softie has a tendency to become infected with fungi or bacteria. Along those same lines, you'll want to make sure pretty much everything in the tank is smooth edged and can't scratch the turtle.

Also I agree with Yvonne, these guys don't bask often, but will on occasion, so a heat light would be good, but a UVB bulb would likely be a waste. A couple other big things with softshells - most people will agree that then NEED a sand bottom tank to feel secure and maintain good psychological health, and they react very poorly to iodine, so make sure you never treat a wound or infection with it should your softie need treatment (I'd recommend Nolvasan instead in these instances.) As mentioned before, filtration is a big deal with these guys so go for the gusto when choosing one.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just want to add to this thread. That hachlings and juvies dont bask often. But my cb adult basks almost everyday. I would say he loves to bask. So just keep that in mind as your turtle gets bigger.

Also if you enjoy keeping water turtles go buy some books about building ponds. An outdoor pond is the best way to go when keeping large turtles. Good luck!

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
alright thank you!
a question,
is it normal for a whiteish spot to be in the center of their belly?
perhaps the little remainder of the yolk sack?

Minotaur

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Marquette, MI
Yeah Captain, that white spot hangs around for awhile.

@ Redfootedboxturtles - that's a good observation about the basking, mine basks little as an adult, but I think you are right about most adults being more avid baskers. I've seen a lot of adult spinys basking while kayaking before.

Status
Not open for further replies.