im trying to get more greens for my redfoot

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
THANK YOU!!! I feel really relieved about the glass.... and yes I’ll be purchasing some more hiding places because s/he would always hide in a corner instead of in a log hide I put in. I switched the hides and s/he seems to like it. I think I’ll purchase some plants to put in or something. Do your torts eat the plants?
Yes probably, my RF will eat or bulldoze most anything I plant in the enclosure. A lot of people keep them in pots, so the tort can only eat what they can reach, but don't kill the plant. Also make sure they don't have pesticides. Most everything commercially sold does.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
THANK YOU!!! I feel really relieved about the glass.... and yes I’ll be purchasing some more hiding places because s/he would always hide in a corner instead of in a log hide I put in. I switched the hides and s/he seems to like it. I think I’ll purchase some plants to put in or something. Do your torts eat the plants?

My nibble on some and ignore the others. I wouldn’t BUY any more hides. Tortie will outgrow those in no time at all. Use that money towards building his outdoor enclosure. At 3 yrs old mine are ready to move out full time. Up till now we still bring them inside after sunset. They get a nice warm bath, delicious supper and we put them in the humid warm closed chamber where they sleep till the next am but they will not fit into that chamber for much longer. Getting REALLY BIG!!!! For the hiding places inside the enclosure, why not dig up some clumps of tort friendly plants from your or family/friends garden? I used to dig up all kinds of stuff including patches of pretty soft grass, or grojnd cover or med hight where they would hide behind or just dig themselves right in the middle of it... the bigger they get the harder it will be to keep a nice looking enclosure, but that’s about the torts’ so just do what works.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My nibble on some and ignore the others. I wouldn’t BUY any more hides. Tortie will outgrow those in no time at all. Use that money towards building his outdoor enclosure. At 3 yrs old mine are ready to move out full time. Up till now we still bring them inside after sunset. They get a nice warm bath, delicious supper and we put them in the humid warm closed chamber where they sleep till the next am but they will not fit into that chamber for much longer. Getting REALLY BIG!!!! For the hiding places inside the enclosure, why not dig up some clumps of tort friendly plants from your or family/friends garden? I used to dig up all kinds of stuff including patches of pretty soft grass, or grojnd cover or med hight where they would hide behind or just dig themselves right in the middle of it... the bigger they get the harder it will be to keep a nice looking enclosure, but that’s about the torts’ so just do what works.
I do the same thing with mine. He goes outside during the day, into his enclosure at night. I've noticed he's growing much quicker since winter ended and he goes outside!

I’ve been also thinking about that, liek which age I should bring strawberry outside to make a bigger enclosure. What substate do you put outside for yours?