I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem (wants to escape)

beverleyjadeee

I have a 4year old leopard tortoise who is currently in a viv (when I get round to it I'm going to get a tortoise table) in her viv she tries to get out all the time and I ain't sure if it's because of the glass doors she can see out, but most times she falls on her side trying to get out, it has me really worried for when I get a job to leave her for that long as I could come home and her be dead, I'm wondering if a tortoise table would help if I don't get any glass on it so she can't see out? Does anyone know what to do or had this problem and managed to sort it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The viv is probably too small. Most tortoises keep trying to escape from a small enclosure. They never get used to it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
At 4 I would say it's to big for that enclosure

beverleyjadeee

She is out all the time too and I never put her heat mat or lamp on through the day as this also makes her try get out, but thank you I'm going to get saving for a tortoise table, just hope she stops once I get it ☺️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a big problem. When a tortoise is taken out of its enclosure and allowed on the floor or wherever, they aren't satisfied any longer to stay inside their four walls. In my opinion, it's a big mistake to allow a tortoise to know there's a big wide wonderful world outside their habitat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a 4year old leopard tortoise who is currently in a viv (when I get round to it I'm going to get a tortoise table) in her viv she tries to get out all the time and I ain't sure if it's because of the glass doors she can see out, but most times she falls on her side trying to get out, it has me really worried for when I get a job to leave her for that long as I could come home and her be dead, I'm wondering if a tortoise table would help if I don't get any glass on it so she can't see out? Does anyone know what to do or had this problem and managed to sort it?
It could be the fact that the enclosure is glass: some torts do not understand the concept of glass/transparent enclosures and keep trying to get out causing stress.:(

Another possibility is that torts take time to adapt to new places, enclosures, environments etc. ;)

Or maybe the enclosure is not large enough. Please post pics of your tort and her enclosure. ;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's a big problem. When a tortoise is taken out of its enclosure and allowed on the floor or wherever, they aren't satisfied any longer to stay inside their four walls. In my opinion, it's a big mistake to allow a tortoise to know there's a big wide wonderful world outside their habitat.
Do you mean even for a "walk" outside home as well?

beverleyjadeee

I think it's a big part of her been let out all the time but this started as she was always adamant to be out and kept falling over as if you let her out its excessive for her and then she don't fall over and would anyone recommend to built a tortoise table yourself? Like what do you need cos I want it big enough for her and a lot of them are only little, thank you :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think it's a big part of her been let out all the time but this started as she was always adamant to be out and kept falling over as if you let her out its excessive for her and then she don't fall over and would anyone recommend to built a tortoise table yourself? Like what do you need cos I want it big enough for her and a lot of them are only little, thank you :)
Again, please post pics of your tort and the enclosure, so as to enable us to help you more and see the size of the enclosure.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Do you mean even for a "walk" outside home as well?
If they are in a VERY small enclosure 23 hours a day and then get taken out for "walks" to me that does more harm than good, talk about stress! Then they spend the rest of the time in that enclosure like a jail sentence trying to escape.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If they are in a VERY small enclosure 23 hours a day and then get taken out for "walks" to me that does more harm than good, talk about stress! Then they spend the rest of the time in that enclosure like a jail sentence trying to escape.
My tort is NOT in a small enclosure. Oli's enclosure has taken half the space I have, believe it or not. I take him out for "walks" when the weather is suitable and I bathe him, after which he retires to his enclosure. NEVER has it annoyed him.:rolleyes:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I didn't say it was, settle down. I haven't seen his enclosure so how could I know. It's was a general answer to the question. I would love to see his enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Have a look at our enclosures section for loads of good ideas on how to do it yourself .
A good start can be a big bookshelf, laid on it's back with all the shelves knocked out and a plastic shower curtain used line it.

beverleyjadeee

Thank you so much to those that helped ☺️ and my tortoise is out all day everyday and I don't believe it does get any harm I'd say having her out and about and a change of scenery every now and again does her the world of good, if you don't let them out and have their freedom then personally I think you shouldn't have a tortoise

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Have a look at our enclosures section for loads of good ideas on how to do it yourself .
A good start can be a big bookshelf, laid on it's back with all the shelves knocked out and a plastic shower curtain used line it.
True.....I'd forgotten that: the enclosures section.:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am very concerned that you turn the heat lamp off to subdue your tort.

Your tort MUST be able to bask freely on order to digest its food and be healthy. Without the lamp, it cannot do that and your tort will get sick.

Your tort is telling you it needs more space. It must be able to bask as well.

beverleyjadeee

To be honest I'm doing the best I can for her and she's doing very well, everyone always compliments the care of my tortoise as you can see by looking at her and when I took her to the vet for a checkup he also said it was one of the healthiest tortoises he had seen, so what I'm doing I'm doing right and as for her space like I said when I get the money I'm going to get her a tortoise table, she's hardly in her tank so for now doesn't matter about the size. But what everyone has said I was going to do anyway was just making sure so thanks again ☺️