lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
On Thursday I got a package in the mail.View attachment 33162

Imagine my surprise when I opened it up.View attachment 33163

Wow, they are beautiful and so smooth!View attachment 33164
View attachment 33165

I was so excited! Don't you love getting surprises in the mail? Actually I got them from Tom. He is such a nice guy and let me get some of his experiment babies. You can't find nicer, smoother torts, IMHO.View attachment 33166
View attachment 33167

I love them. I will probably never know what happened to my other babies but now I have gotten a new one for my husband and another for myself. I am really excited and they are so perfect. Thank you Tom. Just so everyone who reads this knows, Tom is the bees knees.

Well that was disappointing. No pictures are showing up. Let me try this again.

I hope this works. It won't be in the right order but you will hopefully see the beautiful babies. No names yet but I am toying with the name Justice for the one born on July 4. Waiting to hear what my husband thinks.

Attachments

• firstphoto.JPG.JPG
    firstphoto.JPG.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • secphoto.JPG.JPG
    secphoto.JPG.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 110
  • thirphoto.JPG.JPG
    thirphoto.JPG.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • fourpho.JPG.JPG
    fourpho.JPG.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 139
  • sixpho.JPG.JPG
    sixpho.JPG.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 72
  • lastpho.JPG.JPG
    lastpho.JPG.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey Tom! Are those two of the Sudan's "neighbors"...they look GREAT! Now that's some real OK Thunder...;)

Congrats!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your right on about Tom. He is a great guy and has great torts. Wish I had found him and this forum before I purchased a tort, although I loooovvvvveeee my Tatum. Good luck with your new little babies. Still have fingers crossed the others show up.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Barb, so do I but the likely hood of them showing up is not something that I am going to count on. When I was telling my sister about my new tortoises she asked how I would feel if one day I found them in our backyard just sitting there. I told her I would be way excited but that I was not going to expect it.

Hey Dean, what is OK Thunder? Oklahoma Thunder is what I was thinking but I was just wondering. Oh, and did Tom or you name one of them Thunder? If so, which one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are beautiful baby sulcatas. Do you know which experiment they're from?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Yes I do. They are from the one that he did in conjunction with Kelly, Dean, and Neal. I don't remember the name but it was under the health section. He had originally let me get one from Bertha's clutch and she went missing and he graciously let me get two more. One other from Bertha, so my others sister and one from Delores. I am not sure which ones but Liberty was number five on post #63 on page 5. I am trying to figure out which ones I just got, I think number 3 and possibly number 6. It is hard to tell. They have grown a lot since that last post and have changed a little bit.

You are right, Yvonne, they are just beautiful and I feel so blessed to have them.

Thanks, Tom!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
lovelyrosepetal said:
Thanks Barb, so do I but the likely hood of them showing up is not something that I am going to count on. When I was telling my sister about my new tortoises she asked how I would feel if one day I found them in our backyard just sitting there. I told her I would be way excited but that I was not going to expect it.

Hey Dean, what is OK Thunder? Oklahoma Thunder is what I was thinking but I was just wondering. Oh, and did Tom or you name one of them Thunder? If so, which one?

Yes! I was referring to the Oklahoma City Thunder (in a roundabout way)...the fact that you are in OK...and that Kevin Durantula is my favorite player that DOESN'T where a LAKERS uniform. YES! I'm a HUGE basketball fan! But I digress! I was also cross-referencing the fact that, grown right, those are gonna be some thunderous beasts! And no! We didn't name anyone...except GARGANTUA! And that's between me and Tom! :tort:

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Oh, okay. That is what I was thinking but I was not sure. Another thing that I think is sad, they will probably not grow as good as they would if Tom still had them because Tom feeds them such a variety and I just can't get that here in the fall/winter. I hope that I do a good job but my others that are roughly the same age are so much smaller than his. That was why I was asking you about your diet and humidity changes in the experiment thread. Either way, they are beautiful and I am so lucky to be able to have them.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The key to Tom's animals is humidity and hydration. Soak 'em twice a day for the next year (at least). Try to find Santa Barbara Mix at your local market...and throw a handful on top of a small pile of orchard hay...you're in OK...you got hay EVERYWHERE! ;) This way, when they eat the Mix, they'll get hay too, whether they like it or not!

Of course, if SB Mix is not an option...just go with Spring Mix.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At that size I soak them every other day or so. If they've been outside for hours in the hot sun I will soak them daily still, but if they are indoors in their humid enclosure, its just every other.

Don't worry about the variety of foods. Just do your best with what you have. Sulcatas are very adaptable. Mazuri a couple of times a week will help make up for any dietary discrepancies.

I'm looking forward to many pics for years to come. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Tom, you're a sweetheart. I was feeling so bad for lovelyrosepedal. What a surprise. The babies are so beautiful. I thank u for being so kind to her. I bet she'll never let them out of her sight again.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Congrats!! Anytime I see the hatchling babies at my reptile store & want to bring one home I hear "Tom" "Tom" in the back of my mind.
If I ever decide I want the responsibility of owning a sulcata I know I will buy from TOM. Your so lucky!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Edna and jtrux, I really love them also.

Thanks Kathy. I am really lucky. I feel horrible about losing two of my tortoises and I was glad that Tom was willing to give me another chance. I love how pretty his tortoises area and so adventurous! Lots of fun to watch when they are out of their humid hide. I will have to post pictures of the ones I have had since July and then these new ones and you can all see how well Tom grows his. The comparison is amazing!

Thanks Dean, I will try to find some Santa Barbara mix, if not I think I will just buy an assortment of greens. The Spring Mix has so much Spinach here. I know there is some Orchard Hay around here and I will see how well they like it. If I remember correctly, your Sudanese love the Orchard Hay, maybe the mutts will like it also.;)

Urtle, you are right, I feel very lucky to have such beautiful babies.

Tom, I was surprised to hear that you don't soak them everyday, but given the fact that you keep them so humid it makes sense. I like soaking them because they look so relaxed and seem to like it. I will do the best with what I have and will keep the pictures coming.:)

Sibi, Tom is great and is very kind. I appreciate all of his kindness, helpfulness and knowledge. I was thinking about starting a fan club, anyone want to join?;P

I know what you mean, Kathy, I always feel bad for the tortoises because they look so sad, I am projecting my feelings here, and I want them to be happy, but I always think "Tom" in the back of my mind, also.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Congratulations on the new additions and the fresh start. The babies look beautiful. Keep the pictures coming, please.

tortc

5 Year Member
Welcome, Tom's babies!:p They are really nice and even more perfect in person.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.