Impact of Technology On How Tortoises Are kept And Their Information Stored

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I'm bored, so I thought I would start a discussion on how technology has changed the way we not only keep tortoises but how their info is kept for future generations. I know for a fact I have so much info on here and other electronic platforms that as long as they can trace my tortoise to me, they could get a pretty accurate age. Say something happened 40 years down the line and they would be able to trace her/his info back to me they would be able to tell without a doubt my tortoise is almost 41 then (she/he is eight months now). Then there is the fact that forums like this exist and it has changed the way in not only how we care for our torts but how data on their growth in captivity and their lifespan is measured. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I think tortoise hobbyist tech is pretty low-level right now. Certainly several people use different programs to keep records, there are a ton of photos being shared, and so on, but overall?

What I would love to see would be a standardized database on the cloud where keepers around the world could store info about their tortoises, which would then be used as data points and shared. A huge data base could really help research things like diet and growth, relative benefits of different kinds of diets, and much more.

A phone-based data collection app would also be fun. Bring up my tort, add in what it is eating, what it weighs, length, etc. and maybe take a photo and associate it with the day and data. It would be really great if the app could track tank habitat info and more!

Salspi

Chicago
If you look at the wireless controllers that marine aquarium enthusiasts use, you will see exactly how far behind reptile technology really is. Someone needs to start developing such products

Destben

Kansas
If I was tech savvy I would have done this by now, but I'm not...... Maybe someone on here has the know how to make it possible.

Destben

Kansas
I FOUND A TECH GUY!!! What all should this app have?

Destben

Kansas
I think tortoise hobbyist tech is pretty low-level right now. Certainly several people use different programs to keep records, there are a ton of photos being shared, and so on, but overall?

What I would love to see would be a standardized database on the cloud where keepers around the world could store info about their tortoises, which would then be used as data points and shared. A huge data base could really help research things like diet and growth, relative benefits of different kinds of diets, and much more.

A phone-based data collection app would also be fun. Bring up my tort, add in what it is eating, what it weighs, length, etc. and maybe take a photo and associate it with the day and data. It would be really great if the app could track tank habitat info and more!
I think it should start out as a growth chart split into habitat categories and by species. I think this would be the best start to change the bad info out there.