Importing a tort into the US?

Sariss

Location (City and/or State)
Collingwood, Ontario
Hi!
My husband and I currently live in Ontario, Canada. My husband is an American Citizen/Canadian Permanent Resident. We have discussed me getting a Green Card in the US and potentially moving (either northern AZ or west Florida).
We have a Red Footed tortoise, and I was just curious if anyone knows much about the importing process?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your going to need to check with Canadian ministry of wildlife. The United States won't require and import permit for Redfoots. But you will have to have a CITES permit since they are a CITES 2 species. More than likely it will be a pet export permit. So get in touch with your agriculture or wildlife department of Canada and they should be able to assist you with whatever you will need.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sounds complicated. Best wishes for the move, for apply PR, for the import and export.

Sariss

Collingwood, Ontario
Thanks for the info! It will be a while before we move anyways (if we do!). Hubby is eligible for his Canadian Citizenship next year, so after he gets that we can apply for my Green Card. THEN move.