Improving Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey everyone,

So I built this enclosure in December and boy has it been great. The difference I see in my two Russians behavior and eating habits are amazing.

Over the past week I have been adding some more soil and turning up the old soil/sand mix I have in there so they can burrow/dig better as well as removing this weedy grass they wouldn't eat. I am also thinking about making it overnight proof, the only problem I have is that they flip over sometimes when trying to climb the barrier wall. Any suggestions on how to fix that, would a lip work?

As you can see, it is kind of stripped to the bones right now and I'd like to make some more hides, plant some plants they'd enjoy (was thinking one of those seed mixes on Carolina pet supply or similar), and put in a terra cotta saucer on both sides. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

image-3901309081.png

image-687533750.png

image-2611012617.png

Jake

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My Russian recently moved outside full-time and the difference in his behavior and appetite is SHOCKING! He spent all day in his indoor enclosure trying to escape.
Now he runs around happily all day and I swear he has gotten bigger in the 2 weeks he's been living outside. He just seems SO much more content!! Of course, this enclosure is 8x3 compared to his 4x2 enclosure, so that might help too. ;)

What are you covering your enclosures with? How do you keep it on there? I need to get some sort of covering for Nelson so I feel better about leaving him out there alone. I still bring him in at night because I don't know what kinds of people or animals live around here.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as decorating. Things are pretty bare right now! I might plant trays of seeds so I can remove them periodically and give them a chance to grow back.

I love using terra cotta pots and more natural things...that is what I planned to do for Nelson. Rocks, logs to climb over, etc. That went out the window when I threw the Bug Light box in there because he needed a temporary hide. He LOVES it and hides in it and digs in it and sleeps in it every night.

IMAG0756.jpg

The black bin is from the dollar store. He had a red one in his indoor enclosure and it was his absolute favorite hide. But this one pales in comparison to the Bud Light box...sigh. ;)

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Great enclosure! I bet Nelson wants you to pour some Bud Light into his water bowl:D I used a cereal box for the longest time as a hide and they loved it.

The cover is made of plastic and I bought it at the garden center in Lowe's for about $18. A positive is that it is sturdy, so it doesn't sag in the middle of the enclosure. To keep it in place, I screwed about 5 eye hooks on each side of the frame and simply hook the cover onto them. Works like a charm:)

image-3797716908.png

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think I saw that material at Home Depot. It comes in a roll, right? I'll have to go back and get it. Definitely using your idea! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a wire that looks like what you are using. I believe it is call landscaping fabric? It usually is sold by the chicken wire. Wire won't be able to be chewed through as easily as plastic. In case you have wildlife to worry about. As for the flipping, maybe if you had higher sides. They look a little low to me, but might just be the pic. Also, might help to not put anything they can climb on right next to the sides. Hostas make a great hiding and eating plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.