impulse russian buy and do we hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Today we were browsing our local pet store and saw an awesome Russian that we just had to have! Not knowing much about Russians since we seem to be Sulcata freaks, we noticed alot of posts about hibernation. Do they HAVE to hibernate? Or will he be ok without doing so? We live in Florida, so it doesn't get too cold here. It has been in the 70's this past week as a high. Since we just got him today, I would really hate to have to have him go into hibernation :( but if we must, we must. What I have mostly seen otherwise as far as enclosures and diet, they seem to be about the same as a Sulcata. And don't worry, we have housed Quagmire (our Russian) away from our Sulcatas Peter, Lois, and Meg (our new baby!). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Alicia

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hibernation isn't required and is usually not recommended for newly acquired animals.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Do they need to hibernate to breed (as we will be getting a female for him soon)?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's debatable. I believe there was a thread talking about that recently.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
There have been some pretty lengthy threads regarding Russian breeding lately, as it can be pretty tricky. Some breeders hibernate, some don't, some do a brief hibernation. My husband and I are just now starting to build up our group to breed. You'll just have to determine what works for you. If you don't want to hibernate, don't, as there doesn't seem to be any consistent information that it is required for successful breeding.

That being said, there are some things to keep in mind if you are planning to introduce more tortoises soon. First, chain pet store Russians are almost exclusively wild caught. It would be a good idea to plan a vet visit and have a fecal done for any tortoise purchased at a chain pet store, if you plan to introduce tortoises acquired at different times, to prevent the transmission of various parasites. Second, I would have a relatively lengthy quarantine period for the same reason and to ensure that all tortoises are in good health. Third, I would acquire more than one female. Russian males are notoriously aggressive while "courting." You'll have less stressed and more receptive females if you have more than one. Finally, have enough room for those females to escape Quagmire's advances and take a little time out as needed.

Good luck. I love Russians, and I don't blame you at all for picking one up.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! The chain store we got Quagmire in had a pet hospital inside, so we did have him checked out before we even adopted him. Good to know about the Russians and their "courting" habits. Not positive if we will even breed him or not. We are definitely planning it for our Sulcatas, as we have one male and two females of them. Plus it will be awhile for them as one is very very young.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I plan on keeping my breeding group separate except for a brief mating season, like they would encounter in the wild.
russians need to be separate from sulcatas.

A fecal test is recommended for wild caught specimens.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
I HAVE NOT HYBORNATED MINE AND MY MALE HAS BEEN BREADDING OR AT LEAST TRYING AND MY FEMALE ACT WEIRD AT TIMES AND IM READY FOR EGGS JUST HAVENT GOT THEM YET SO WE WILL SEE I HAVE HEARD OF OTHERS THAT HAVE SUCCES BREADDING WITH OUT HYBORNATING. GOOD LUCK :)

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
"Russians"- even if not native to Russia, but from former Soviet republic in Central Asia, you should note that they hibernate ALL OVER their areal. Also, they are the HIBERNATING SPECIES by excellence- in most of their areal, they spend up to 9 months underground- so, they are made to have long resting periods, hibernation included. The fact that they reach even Mongolia and very cold regions in Kazakhstan should ring a bell to "no-hibernation" adepts... absolute lows there down under -45*C... so, I don't need "consistent infos" from any human entity to know what nature projected them to do- just consider what is natural, and don't push them into unnatural, only because they may live in those conditions too.
Difference lays in the fact that they CAN hibernate while other tortoises CANNOT, it is not just a "reaction to lack of food and warmth"; they have adapted to be able to cope with that by HIBERNATING; a Sulcata may spend months without emerging from his hide during a prolonged drought in Sahel, but it ESTIVATES- it is its way to cope with adverse conditions. But 3 months at 5*C will kill or make it sick, if lucky. Nor will it be eager to mate due to the cold treatment- while Horsfieldi will be crazy after awakening.

I know that at least EJ will disagree, but adaptation becomes the "second nature", and it is translated through acquired mechanisms and capacities that need to be kept working.

A new purchased animal is another story- yes, you should be sure it is not debile or sick, and you may not wanting to take chances, and let hibernation for the next year... but in your case, you may let it roam free in its outdoor enclosure in FL for the whole year, just make sure it has a dry shelter.

I can say it is the less suitable species for warm and humid climates, but at least you can keep it outdoor year-round, if fridge hibernation seems too complicated for you at the moment.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.