In 1954...We Awaken Something...

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Battles between male North American wood turtles (Glyptemys insculpta) are a normal and stimulating part of the species' annual cycle. The hierarchy they form within a population and even in captive environments such as this, is impressive and something you'd never get bored watching. This time of year and in spring, they reach a peak in breeding activity which inevitably brings on fighting. Yes we watch to make sure no one gets seriously injured but we also encourage them to be "wild". These turtles live in a large enclosure that mimics their natural habitat rather closely (have to pat myself on the back for that one cause I kicked my own butt making the thing) and they behave in a rather natural manner. Exactly what I wanted them to do.

I was lucky enough to snap some photos close up of a fight that went on yesterday between 2 of our massive (and I mean massive) bull males. Wish I had the D7000 in hand for it but these iPhone shots aren't bad. Enjoy.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410525142.777462.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410525151.660247.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410525160.943557.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410525169.892806.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never seen a wood turtle other than pictures, but in pictures they look so much like the Actinemys marmorata...one of my favorite water turtles.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice pictures really capturing the ferocious battle of warriors. Funny thing. Just yesterday i was thinking that I don't see many posts about " Wood Turtles " here on the forum. Growing up in northeastern Pennsylvania, i often ran across and kept from time to time, both wood turtles and eastern box turtles Lo and behold, up pops this posting! More updates, please :):tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Godzilla 2014?

I win :)

Well since I'm an American who works in the film industry and I've never even heard of that, I don't think you can give us credit for that. And even if Hollywood did do another cruddy re-make, credit for Godzilla, Mothra and Gamera still will always belong to the Japanese.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Seeing the photos of those turtles makes me REEEALY glad I'm a lot more than 6 inches tall...:p

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Battles between male North American wood turtles (Glyptemys insculpta) are a normal and stimulating part of the species' annual cycle. The hierarchy they form within a population and even in captive environments such as this, is impressive and something you'd never get bored watching. This time of year and in spring, they reach a peak in breeding activity which inevitably brings on fighting. Yes we watch to make sure no one gets seriously injured but we also encourage them to be "wild". These turtles live in a large enclosure that mimics their natural habitat rather closely (have to pat myself on the back for that one cause I kicked my own butt making the thing) and they behave in a rather natural manner. Exactly what I wanted them to do.

I was lucky enough to snap some photos close up of a fight that went on yesterday between 2 of our massive (and I mean massive) bull males. Wish I had the D7000 in hand for it but these iPhone shots aren't bad. Enjoy.

View attachment 95591View attachment 95592View attachment 95593View attachment 95594

Hi Chris:

May I forward this thread to one Chinese turtles and Tortoise forum which I'm also a member of it? I will for sure to mention the origin of the contain and photo.

Thanks.

Steven