In- Ground Soaking Dish?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hi TFO.
Today I'm trying to figure out how to get something in the ground so Tank can self soak. Lately, a friend and I have been lifting him into a deep bucket with 5" of warm water. The trouble is, as he gets more comfortable with us, he becomes more resistant to be lifted. He's not all that heavy, but with his legs moving at the speed of light, this is a dangerous task. As of now, I have a 18" x 18" pot water catcher in the ground. This is the largest one I could find at Home Depot.
Tank TRIES to soak in the pan, but he just can't get his 19" wide self into the water.
1394389752775.jpg

I was thinking about digging a ditch, and filling the sides with cement. Would this be OK? Are them chemicals in cement mix dangerous?
Ideally, I wanted to get a hard plastic kidd-y pool, and bury it, but not only would h have a hard time getting out, the bottom would be slippery.

Any ideas would be fantastic.
Thanks!

Tiffany.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I made my leopard a cement pond. Make sure the sides are gradual so he can easily get out. After it properly dried, I just rinsed it well before letting him use it. I have had no problems. I used the kind of cement. That has little larger stones for traction. I also put a drain in it. I forgot the air hose part of it, so I mostly use a wet vac to clean it out.
You could also just do a mud pit, I hear Sullies love laying in the mud:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the top of those big, round garbage dumpsters, the ones that the truck picks up with the clamp and dumps in the back of the truck.

03-12-14_zpsb157b4a2.jpg

You can also use the drip pan that goes under a washing machine, or one of those plastic, round thingeys that kids slide down the snow hill on.

jfales

5 Year Member
I have found an all purpose tub for Mac (although I have not yet soaked him in it). It is 8" deep, 36" long, and 24" wide. I am hoping it will work for my guy. Tractor Supply has them much less expensive than other places I have looked. It might work until he outgrows it :)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...arge-all-purpose-mixing-tub-26-gal---35-cu-ft

I don't know yet about the climbing in and out. I guess the tub would need a hearty mat for traction.

quail

5 Year Member
I use a plastic kiddy pool with an opening cut into the side. The opening is about 5 inches off the ground. Holds water and easy to clean. The plastic is flimsy and flexible and my 50lber has no problems getting in and out.

No burying and no traction problems because it's flat.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just use a big plastic lid .

Here is pictures

Attachments

• 1394413602860.jpg
    1394413602860.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 1394413650281.jpg
    1394413650281.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 1394413689769.jpg
    1394413689769.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 165

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Cool! When I get paid on Tuesday, I'll use my store credit to pick up something.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just dig a hole in the dirt and fill it with water sometimes. They like to drink this way for some reason.

The concrete depression will work too.

I use plastic pizza dough trays sunk into the ground too. This works really well for me, but they might be just a little too small for a real big one.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I tried digging a hole into dirt, but the water drained really quickly.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
tffnytorts said:
I tried digging a hole into dirt, but the water drained really quickly.

I do the same thing as Tom...I dug up the dirt and then put it back in but looser than it was originally....it took about a week of running the hose on really low pressure for about 20 minutes a day to get it so that the water stays for about an hour or so... Scooter loves it!

10002792_10202570683161736_521134880_n.jpg1555677_10202570679281639_750275065_n.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here in Oregon, this time of year, I dig a hole, and it starts filling on its own from seepage.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
I dug a large hole and then made a cement pond for my sully. I have it hook up to my sprinklers so fresh water is put in every other day automatically. She will come over every time it is turned on to drink the water and soak. I also put a ground level drain just to the side of it so I can use a broom to sweep out all the water once a week or when needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OCTortoiseGuy said:
I dug a large hole and then made a cement pond for my sully. I have it hook up to my sprinklers so fresh water is put in every other day automatically. She will come over every time it is turned on to drink the water and soak. I also put a ground level drain just to the side of it so I can use a broom to sweep out all the water once a week or when needed.

OH COME ON!!! Where are the pics? :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
OCTortoiseGuy said:

Photo please...I have three drainage systems in my backyard alone. I think it's be cool to utilize them iun the same manner you do!:D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
quail said:
I use a plastic kiddy pool with an opening cut into the side. The opening is about 5 inches off the ground. Holds water and easy to clean. The plastic is flimsy and flexible and my 50lber has no problems getting in and out.

No burying and no traction problems because it's flat.

I have seen people use these little pools (Wal-Mart $6.00!) and make a cement mold with them so it is more "bowl" shaped. They also make it to where they can sink the pool and place the cement "bowl" in the pool so it can be removed for seasonal cleaning. It seems to work well. Cement, once cured, is not toxic just make sure you use a good sealant on it to avoid yucky things soaking into the pores.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
Has promised, I took pictures. When I came home today and started taking pictures, Flower came over to see what I was doing with her water pond.

Here is the pond it is about 4.5'x4.5'
POND.jpg

This is the small hose that is hooked up to a auto sprinkler system and comes on every other day.
IMG_7512.jpg

This is the in ground drain that runs through the backyard.
IMG_7514.jpg
IMG_7513.jpg

Here she is coming to investigate what I am doing with her pond.
IMG_7517.jpg
IMG_7516.jpg

Now resting in the shade in the pond.
IMG_7521.jpg
IMG_7522.jpg

I made the pond about 5 years ago and I think it was one of the best improvements I have made for the heath of Flower. I stated with Sulcata tortoises about 20 years ago, back when dry, dry, dry was recommended:(. After installing the pond I felt so guilty for not making it sooner for her. She uses it every day and loves it when the water is on. She will position herself under the water that comes from the hose every time. Before the pond I had small dishes (12 inches) and had a hole dug that I would fill with water about once a week but that water was gone quickly and she really was dry most the time. I do believe that every Sucata is different and some may not use it as much as others. Case in point I had a male named Bud that lived with Flower for a few years and he would use it but not very often and rarely compared to Flower.

To clean the pond out it is very easy and done once a week or when ever needed (Yes she will poop in it often). I just use a standard house broom to sweep out all the water towards the rock trench that leads to the drain.