In memory of little Aphrodite...

TheTortoise3829

Location (City and/or State)
Italy
Hey all... if you don't like sad stories, please feel free to click away, because I'll be telling a sad story that happened to me a couple of days ago... It was May 23rd and i passed it as a normal day, online school and lunch, before lunch i went on my balcony knowing it was world turtle day, yay right? Now, I keep my tortoise in two different outside enclosures during the summer, on my balcony, there are no cats and my dog can't reach there, just the perfect spot, half sun, half shade. I needed to harvest my radishes and strawberries, and knowing they're my tortoises favourite i saved the radishes green's and kept 1 strawberry to cut it in half, while I was putting the "salad mix" in the Perla's enclosure, she was happy, but then I went over to Aphrodite's enclosure, there she was, lifeless, no injuries and she looked like as if she was sleeping, i go touch her with a piece of strawberry since she usually wakes up happy and energetic with it near her, but no reaction and not even a sign of breath... It took me two seconds to realise what happened to her and i was very very sad to say the least, a tear rolled down my face as i was asking "how did she die? what happened to her? how did I screw up?" I was very sad and very mad at myself, I kept her inside her enclosure, hoping she would move, but at no avail, she lied there, a lifeless body with eyes sunken in her skull... That day was horrible for me and I was too sad to even eat! Aphrodite liked tomatoes and to clean her enclosure, with a small, already used spoon, i scooped her fecies in my peach tree, where tomato plants started to grow and thrive, to commemorate and remember her, I repotted those tomato plants. I miss her, I really do, my life just goes on and I know, I will always remember her, strange thing is, i keep both tortoises in the same substrate and in the same conditions, with the same food, the older one (Perla) thrives and she's 7 now, never had any problems with her, not even respiratory infections... I really miss Aphrodite and hope she lives on in heaven... Bye guys...

TheTortoise3829

Italy
I'm so very sorry! I lost my tort in March, and I understand how awful you feel.
Hugs to you! ? ??
Thanks for your reply, made me feel better, since then I've been continuing my life as per usual and I've been doing much much more reserch on hermann's so that i know where and how i screwed up. I've returned to basically a normal mindset and one of my mom's retired friends, offered me a tort for free (he has a hermann's tortoise farm basically, he has so many of them he can't even keep count) I will look into his/her health so she will pass an amazing life!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm glad that when you're ready, you have a tortoise waiting for you to bring her home.

Have you read all the literature on here for Hermanns? Just be careful researching...so much of the info on care is old and outdated.

I love Italy! In general, where are you? Has your place been hard hit by COVID-19? I pray that you and your family are well.

Steviemonty

Norwich uk
Sorry for your loss it's so hard it really is i also feel the pain of losing a beloved animal.they are so precious to us..bless you xx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. It's never easy losing a family member of any species. I don't know where you got her or how long you had her but sometimes they just dont live their life span. Again, very sorry.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
I am so sorry for your loss. It is difficult to lose a friend, especially unexpectantly and without known cause.