In need of a forever or foster home?

Stacy N-B

Location (City and/or State)
Mcalpin, Florida
Hi there,

I am new to the Forum and being a tortoise owner. I have several friends that have or breed Sulcatas. I live in North Central Florida. The Sulcata we currently have is to small to live in the outdoor habitat we have and are creating. We thought if there were any of the large/giant breed tortoises that are in need of housing and a family we could provide that for 1 maybe 2. We are no experts at the moment. With that being said we do have the necessary means of providing a happy, healthy, safe home. I personally work for a veterinarian that also does exotics. I work closely with another one that does house calls. I am capable of creating/building anything that would be need for a long happy healthy life

Ginavg

Florida
Hi Stacy

I live in st.petersburg fl and currently have a male leopard tortoise that I am looking to adopt out. He is constantly trying to mate with my female sulcata and causes her to dig and lay infertile eggs. This is causing too much stress on her.

He is a great tort. I have had him for 11 years. I have a Rubbermaid shed with a pigs blanket in it for cold winters. So he lives outside all year. I also have a Peruvian cherry head tortoise and he doesnt bother her at all.

I am not sure by your post if you were looking to adopt, but if your interested please let me know.

Do you have much experience with tortoises?

Gina

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hi Stacy

I live in st.petersburg fl and currently have a male leopard tortoise that I am looking to adopt out. He is constantly trying to mate with my female sulcata and causes her to dig and lay infertile eggs. This is causing too much stress on her.

He is a great tort. I have had him for 11 years. I have a Rubbermaid shed with a pigs blanket in it for cold winters. So he lives outside all year. I also have a Peruvian cherry head tortoise and he doesnt bother her at all.

I am not sure by your post if you were looking to adopt, but if your interested please let me know.

Gina
Hi Gina,
After reading your post I want to suggest that you separate your tortoises. Different species should not be kept together. That will solve your problems. Each species it’s own habitat.

Dear Stacy, your sulcata will get large. Please read the info in the sulcata section to help you. They travel miles in the wild. A large enclosure is best for them. They should not share an enclosure with a different species or another sulcata. Pairs are not a good for them. They are a solitary species.

Stacy N-B

Mcalpin, Florida
Hi Gina,
After reading your post I want to suggest that you separate your tortoises. Different species should not be kept together. That will solve your problems. Each species it’s own habitat.

Dear Stacy, your sulcata will get large. Please read the info in the sulcata section to help you. They travel miles in the wild. A large enclosure is best for them. They should not share an enclosure with a different species or another sulcata. Pairs are not a good for them. They are a solitary species.
I do know they will get large. Thank you for letting me know. I have 4 acres that can be dedicated to them with out having to dig any plants or remove trees when they get big enough. I have about a 12 x 12 metal shed I am in the process of converting into a winter shelter. It can get cold here.

Stacy N-B

Mcalpin, Florida
Hi Gina,

Hi Stacy

Gina

I have some experience but no expert by any means. I've "baby sat" several adult tortoises. The longest I've housed at my house a Redfoot for 6 months in the summer and fall. I'm very new to the hatchling stage. Due to the species needing to be separated I'd like to stick with the sulcata tortoises for now. I know more about them at this point and have been setting up a more humid environment. I don't think it would matter outside but their winter housing is my main concern. It can get freezing temps here for a week maybe more. If I'm not mistaking that (to humid or wet) could be bad for the Leopard Tortoise? However, I have a good friend in Lakeland, Fl that could possibly help with housing him better then me right now. I can reach out to her if you'd like? I'll also do a little research to see if there is a way to safely partition off a section of the shed to be able to keep his environment suitable for him. I'm not against taking him I just want to make sure I can give him a safe, healthy, happy life. Not just provide what is necessary to sustain life.

Stacy N-B

Mcalpin, Florida
I reached out to my friend Rosie she would love to adopt him. I also did some research and he would be compatible to live in the same winter housing (In his own section). I'll actually be in Treasure Island on July 9th - July 12th. Could meet with you then or give you Rosie's info before hand if you still wanted to adopt him out? Are you asking for a "re homing fee"?

Ginavg

Florida
Hi Stacy

Your friend Rosie, does she have adequate housing and landscaping for him? He is about 12 lbs. I know they recommend asking for a rehoming fee, to ensure that he will be taken care of and not resold. I honestly haven’t thought much about that. I will be around and off of work the 5th thru the 10th.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Hi Stacy

Your friend Rosie, does she have adequate housing and landscaping for him? He is about 12 lbs. I know they recommend asking for a rehoming fee, to ensure that he will be taken care of and not resold. I honestly haven’t thought much about that. I will be around and off of work the 5th thru the 10th.
I am wanting to adopt a leopard. Let me know if you are still looking to do this.