In Need of Advice and Insight (Greek)

IyzMykC

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I am entirely new to this, and any research I've done was not exactly helpful given the amount of conflicting information. The previous owner knows roughly what I do.
I acquired George (TONIGHT) because a friendly acquaintance was no longer able to keep him.
She said he is a Greek tortoise, but does not know the subspecies. She received him from a friend, and has had him roughly 1 year. The guy she got him from had him for around 3 years, so he is probably 3.5 to 4 years old. She fed him a large leaf or two of collard greens every morning (and occasionally calcium supplements), and gave him a "bath" (meaning put him in a shallow bowl of water and let him wash his face) once a month. The enclosure is roughly 3ft by 6ft (a guess) and has aspen wood shavings 2 to 3 inches deep for the flooring. The lights that came with him are a UVB Reptisun tube, set on an automatic timer from 7am to 5pm or 6pm, and some unlabeled heating/basking lamp. Where his enclosure is positioned he will also get some degree of natural lighting, but the weather here is cloudy gray skies all year long.

I need to know if I have to keep the room at a specific temperature, and if I should find alternative floor coverings. Should he get "bathed" more often than once a month, and do I just let him "bathe" himself? How long and when should I keep the lights on?

As for feeding George, I do not have collard greens (yet), but I have kale, some other vegetables, and a few fruits that are said to be okay in small amounts, and I can get dandelion greens from the local Farmer's Market. Do I have what I need to feed him properly? How often should I give him the calcium supplement?

My apologies for the flood of questions, but I was not expecting to have him move in with me so soon, and so I am left considerably unprepared. I do not want any harm or illness to come to him, so advice is welcomed and much appreciated.

I will post a photo or two once I have the time to take them. I do not want to disturb his sleep, and I have school and soccer from 7:00am to 5:30pm until Saturday, so I will probably not get photos taken until tomorrow night.

IyzMykC

Portland, OR
Might want to post a pic of him to make sure you have a Greek if your unsure.

— Gus
I will, but I'm doing homework right now (it's late), and he's asleep. I am busy tomorrow but should be able to take photos in the evening.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Whenever you have time read the care sheet it will answer many questions. Once you have read it and need to clarify on some things ask away.

— Gus

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
They definitely are...my tortoise tries to get out of its enclosure climbing like a monkey!
once my male russian escaped out of his old enclosure and i didn't find him till the next morning!!!! i was so sad i thought i lost him forever:(, and i was so happy when i found him:D!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I am entirely new to this, and any research I've done was not exactly helpful given the amount of conflicting information. The previous owner knows roughly what I do.
I acquired George (TONIGHT) because a friendly acquaintance was no longer able to keep him.
She said he is a Greek tortoise, but does not know the subspecies. She received him from a friend, and has had him roughly 1 year. The guy she got him from had him for around 3 years, so he is probably 3.5 to 4 years old. She fed him a large leaf or two of collard greens every morning (and occasionally calcium supplements), and gave him a "bath" (meaning put him in a shallow bowl of water and let him wash his face) once a month. The enclosure is roughly 3ft by 6ft (a guess) and has aspen wood shavings 2 to 3 inches deep for the flooring. The lights that came with him are a UVB Reptisun tube, set on an automatic timer from 7am to 5pm or 6pm, and some unlabeled heating/basking lamp. Where his enclosure is positioned he will also get some degree of natural lighting, but the weather here is cloudy gray skies all year long.

I need to know if I have to keep the room at a specific temperature, and if I should find alternative floor coverings. Should he get "bathed" more often than once a month, and do I just let him "bathe" himself? How long and when should I keep the lights on?

As for feeding George, I do not have collard greens (yet), but I have kale, some other vegetables, and a few fruits that are said to be okay in small amounts, and I can get dandelion greens from the local Farmer's Market. Do I have what I need to feed him properly? How often should I give him the calcium supplement?

My apologies for the flood of questions, but I was not expecting to have him move in with me so soon, and so I am left considerably unprepared. I do not want any harm or illness to come to him, so advice is welcomed and much appreciated.

I will post a photo or two once I have the time to take them. I do not want to disturb his sleep, and I have school and soccer from 7:00am to 5:30pm until Saturday, so I will probably not get photos taken until tomorrow night.
Welcome to the forum! I have a Greek tort I LOVE. I'd suggest you read the care-sheet as I don't want to give you advise that may turn out to be "wrong." But...I can tell you a few things: I soak my beloved tort almost daily leaving it in warm-not hot-water for about 20 to 30 mintes. I expose my tort to light and the...sun, sometimes taking it out for a "walkt " when it's sunny as I live in a flat. That "walk" I can assure you, torts enjoys as the wild is the right place for them to live in. I allow it to roam around the house: I don't like keeping the poor thing "imprisoned," although very few members if any agreed to this. Can't want to see pics of your tort, and good luck.

IyzMykC

Portland, OR
So I woke up a bit early to take the enclosure measurements. It is much smaller than I thought, being 2 ft by 4 ft, and 7.5 inches high. I will look into finding (or building) a larger enclosure for him. Because of the year long gray clouds here, an outdoor enclosure is not a good option (though I will take him outside on the few good weather days we get.) From his shell I am guessing Ibera Greek, and I will take photos when I get home from soccer this evening.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You'll want to vary the diet and add many other greens, weeds & flowers. No fruit. You'll also want to change the substrate to something that holds moisture. Add a plant saucer so he can drink or soak himself, & toss in a cuttle bone for calcium.

IyzMykC

Portland, OR
Finally got a few photos of George. Sorry if the photos are a tad large.

Attachments

• 20141016_181640.jpg
    20141016_181640.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20141016_181851.jpg
    20141016_181851.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20141016_182249(0).jpg
    20141016_182249(0).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19