in need of help and opinions

morgandoeee

Location (City and/or State)
florida
This is my current setup after reading the tom the dog trainers thread.
I understand I need to get an enclosed chamber for my little guy. Does anyone have a link to where I can buy one or a video of how I could build one?

I'm open to any comments, critiques, and or questions.
I live in Florida and this little guy is a leopard tortoise.

I had a box tortoise years ago and my parents stuck him in a glass tank like this, he thrived and grew very large where he lived in our backyard until our pool guy stole him.
I am a young adult but want to give this guy the best life he can have. Im stressing.

IMG_7947.jpgIMG_7948.jpgIMG_7968.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use the basking spot light. Use an incandescent flood bulb for basking. A florescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter(s) for added heat if needed
Dump the analog gauge in the garbage and get digital.
All over temp to never be below 80 day and night with a basking of 95-100.
You can cover the aquarium with tin foil for now. He won't be in there very long. You can't keep him in there until he's big enough to live outside. What your parents did to the box turtle was wrong.
You can also buy a pop up portable green house. Put the aquarium in it. Then when he needs a bigger home, the green house would work.

morgandoeee

florida
Do not use the basking spot light. Use an incandescent flood bulb for basking. A florescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter(s) for added heat if needed
Dump the analog gauge in the garbage and get digital.
All over temp to never be below 80 day and night with a basking of 95-100.
You can cover the aquarium with tin foil for now. He won't be in there very long. You can't keep him in there until he's big enough to live outside. What your parents did to the box turtle was wrong.
You can also buy a pop up portable green house. Put the aquarium in it. Then when he needs a bigger home, the green house would work.
I appreciate your response I hear different opinions about the UVB and how they can be dangerous for little babies and can be harmful to their eyes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes if too close to the torts or the coil type it can be harmful. When done the right way and correct bulbs and height, it's not.