In Need of Photos of Deformed Tortoises

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hello all,

I just finished a blog regarding popular chelonians and why they are popular. I mention a few species in particular and aim to make points that education one's self is imperative, since popular species, like the sulcata or Red Eared Slider, are mostly popular because they are easy to breed in large numbers.

I have plenty of RES photos, but would love some photos of some sucatas with MBD. I think this blog is a good opportunity to educate people on what we have already seen.

Please let me know if you have anything, by emailing me at [email protected].

Thank you so much. You will get credit for any photo you submit, and I can show you the blog before hand, if you'd like to know what you are submitting the photos for.

Thank you,

Anthony

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is a picture of my son and my pyramided female sulcata .

Attachments

• 1429500182514.jpg
    1429500182514.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 70

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Emailed you the picture . Hope it helps you .

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I've got a Russian tortoise with some bad shell growth activity as well as a couple Sulcata's that have bad carapace action from prior owners. Monday I'll get pictures for you. Would you like pictures of what a healthy tortoise should look like as well?
Rather than just mentioning the importance of good research, pointing them towards the good research ie; TFO would probably be best. Lots of bad information out there on the internet machine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I sent you a picture of a sulcata, but also have a leopard in a bit of bad shape.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thank you all so much. I've already corresponded with those whom emailed me, but please forgive my not returning to this thread. Between writing and work and my baby, I have a tendency to be a bit of a flake sometimes, but I promise that's not my intention :)

Ken, the aim of this blog is to inform people that sulcatas and RES are not popular because they are good pets. They are popular because they are convenient for the breeders who produce them. That's the main purpose. I think that bit of knowledge, as well as the reminder that you don't help turtles/tortoises by "rescuing" from pet stores. We've all done it, and it is a testament to how caring we can be, but we need to also be tactful, choosing to pass on such temptation, knowing that it will only make way for more "product" to replace what you've purchased.

I gather that anyone who reads the article has already found TFO. We do not hit near as large an audience as TFO. BUT, for such cases whom might not know about TFO, I always include a blurb about it in every one of my blog posts, to encourage readers to "find" me there. It's important for people to be reminded that such communities exist, in my opinion.

Thanks so much everyone!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are welcome my Tuttle loving friend . haha Please post links so I can see my boy and tortoise become famous in the turtle world .