In search of names

Aimee Vasile

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson Arizona
Hi 👋 Tortoise Forum members!

Mommy to 3 beautiful African Sulcata tortoises here, we have a 5yr old named Valentine bc she was given as a present on Valentine's Day and 2 little 8mo olds that we still haven't found "the right" names for. I was hoping that some of you might have some ideas 💡??? The only good names we've come up with so far is Gucci and Givenchy lol. I also like the name Gaia but can't think of a good counter name. We don't know the sexes yet so we're trying to find good unisex names, I'd hate to name one Daisy if he's a Duke 😂. Anyway, it's nice to be here, we kinda inherited Valentine from my sister after her fiancee got murdered and then we took on the babies when her friend had a litter of tortoises and couldn't find homes for all of them so learning about them has become daily our lives. We're happy to have them, they are such terrific, perfect little beings! I just want to make sure that they get everything they need.

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_131516782.jpg
    IMG_20230425_131516782.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230425_131235836~3.jpg
    IMG_20230425_131235836~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230425_131248900~2.jpg
    IMG_20230425_131248900~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your young ones should be in a closed chamber with high humidity to keep them from pyramiding, specially being in AZ. They also should not be housed as a pair or with the bigger one, until they are bigger.
Please read the care sheet on here and the closed chamber thread. They have already started to pyramid which means they are kept too dry.
I think the two names you already thought of are great, Gucci and Givenchy.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, please read the caresheets, especially about closed enclosures and humidity. The young torts should be kept indoors in separate enclosures until around 2 years old and about 10 inches.
You could always copy the old Rocky movies and call them Cuff and Link.😁😁

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I know you came asking for name advice, but there's a lot of good info to be had on care. Please read this, its a lot, but the best place to start especially since you have babies:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Welcome to the club!

I LOVE the mud, what a beast! You have an artistic flair so you could expand your idea...Tuscan & Venice?

Good luck and don't get twisted cause folks here zeroed in on the dryness, they are looking out for the little guys health first and foremost. Don't be offended! Read the care sheets and you'll see why they reacted so uniformly.

BTW- I have a Matilda that may be "trans-ing" to Matt....she will be 3 this year but I like girls more than boys so I gender-assigned her! LOL

Good luck!

jeff

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. Like everyone else says about the care sheets. I constantly try to refresh my memory and read and reread. With names I'm probably silly. But I ask you what gender is a Daisy (flower). Or a Sapphire ( valuable gem) which is my tortoises name. He's a boy but that's what I named him. So it should be what comes to your mind when you watch the little one.🤗

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When they are bigger and you know each one's sex for sure, you can call the boy Sue, and the girl Georgie.