Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Way back in August of 2007, our Administrator, Josh, was wondering about getting a desert tortoise and tried to find info about it on the 'net. He started this forum and his first post about tortoises said this, "i just heard from a family friend that they may be looking for a new home for their desert tortoise, 'Paulina'. if i adopt paulina what are warning signs i should look for? i'm not entirely sure what her life has been like thus far. are there any tell tale signs of sickness or depression etc etc?
thanks in advance!"

I'll just bet that all those years ago Josh never even imagined that only four short years later his baby, our Tortoise Forum, would boast over 10,000 members, and have made over 328,000 posts!

It just proves that we are hungry for information about our turtles and tortoises.

Thank you so much, Josh, for having the foresight to start this forum, and the energy and where-with-all to keep it up and running for us.

(Now get busy with the calendar contest! :p )

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Agreed, well said, and thanks to Josh.

That small action will have saved and improved the lives of hundreds of tortoises, and that's something to be very proud of.

When I myself started my research, I looked on various websites and collated information to form my own 'care sheet'. Some things clashed, so I went with the most prevalent information.

Then, I stumbled upon this forum, and suddenly the clashes didn't matter any more. Some were complete misinformation, others were one person's opinion, but here I get the experiences of many and can learn from them all. I've learned that creating one care sheet, whilst a good starting point, is never going to prepare me for the life-long journey that is tortoise ownership. I know from reading this forum, and from my own experiences, that Emrys is very much an individual, and that it's up to me to learn about him, but with hints and tips from others. It's great that I can also share my experience with Emrys to help other people find what works for them - I know he wouldn't be as happy without TFO!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thank you Josh! You have no idea, or you might, how many torts/turts and peoples lives you have helped over the years by starting this great forum! And even tho I am still really new here I have learned a lot from the great people on here. So Cooper and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts!! :D :tort:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
When I found the forum,I wasn't expecting anything this good. What a nice surprise it was to find this amount of world class keepers who were more than willing to share their knowledge.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you SO much, Josh! This has become more than just a place to find out information about tortoises, it has become a place where you can make GOOD FRIENDS, and MEET KIND-GENEROUS PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
If wasn't for me finding this site, my RT would probably be living in a plastic bowl with an island and a plastic palm tree.
Thank you Josh; and thank all of you members for keeping this old man edumacated.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know I for one feel very fortunate that hubby and I stumbled across this forum when we 1st got OP. We really didn't have any knowledge as to his care and if it wasn't for this forum and the wonderful people here we wouldn't know what we should have been doing. Thanks Josh!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
just wondering, but DOES Josh have any tortoises? I don't recall ever hearing about them if so...but anyway, thanks for everything!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Very well said Yvonne!
Thank you Josh for wanting to learn more about tortoises and having the courage to ask and start this forum. Without this forum so many people would have misleading information and so many tortoises and turtles wouldn't have the chance they now do!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pdrobber said:
just wondering, but DOES Josh have any tortoises? I don't recall ever hearing about them if so...but anyway, thanks for everything!

He has 1 CDT, and I thought he had gotten one more, but I can't say for sure.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah Josh, what ever happened with Paulina? Did you take her or not? If you did where are the pictures of her?

I want to thank Josh too for giving us a site with such caring individuals that give their time and help so our tortoises can have the best life posible. I for one have gotten so much help from others on this site and I consider that priceless. Dale, Ruby, Little Eddie and Fernando are so much better off because Josh wanted a tortoise. Thanks Josh. :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
TFO rocks!! A few years ago I found a wonderful forum for my hatchling beardies and never even thought I could find such a great place to learn about tortoises. Well, I did! Thanks so much! I have met wonderful people on here who have helped so many. I just wish we had the internet 30yrs ago when I had boxies as a kid.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Momof4 said:
TFO rocks!! A few years ago I found a wonderful forum for my hatchling beardies and never even thought I could find such a great place to learn about tortoises. Well, I did! Thanks so much! I have met wonderful people on here who have helped so many. I just wish we had the internet 30yrs ago when I had boxies as a kid.
same here with me, maybe my pancake and soft shell would still be around.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Thank you all for the kind words!
It is a fantastic feeling to create something others find so useful. I am very proud of the community that has developed here!
Thank you all for participating and making this great site such an incredible resource!
Jacqui has gotten the ball rolling with the contest.
As for tortoises, I have one CDT that I got as a hatchling shortly after I started TFO. Paulina stayed with her original family and her care increased greatly.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I agree with everything said here :)

Thank you Josh.
It's so great to be a part of this amazing community and if it weren't for you it wouldn't be possible. Not only have you helped and saved hundreds of lucky tortoises and turtles but you have also bought people together from all over the world. Not an easy thing to do, and to keep it friendly at the same time.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Every question i wrote in google brought me here!
When i joined the forum i was worried no one uses it anymore...
GEEZ WAS I WRONG!
You made this forum to help a CDT life!
Thats' great!
Well done josh!

Status
Not open for further replies.