DannyBoyLAD

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
My 11 year old male redfoot tortoise has become a bit more inactive recently. I'm not too worried, just want to see others opinions. I live in South Florida where its mostly always warm and humid. I have him living outside with a smaller 8 inch female. I've noticed he became more inactive once i introduced the female. Back in the last days of December. He comes out for food and water and eats like a champ! He is nice and heavy too. But once he roams a bit after his feeding he goes straight into his hide and never really comes out again. The female loves to roam around. I have no issues with her. I do know we are now just closing up on the winter season, maybe it was that? He became more inactive cause of the cold? He rather stay inside the hide where its warmer. (He does have a heater inside the hide. But only comes on at night when temperatures are lower than 65 degrees) But even these past few weeks where its been nice and hot he doesn't come out and explore like he used to. Even when I let them roam the yard. He roams for a bit and ends up finding a nice little tight corner and ends up sleeping most of the day.

What I'm thinking is maybe he is overweight? Maybe I am feeding him too much? He eats Mon-Fri a nice variety of greens, fruits and veggies. I dont feed them on weekends. Or that this is more of territorial behavior when he in his enclosure. Just rather stay inside while he lets the female roam and explore everything else? OR simply like I mentioned its spring time now, just ending winter. Was it the winter season making him more inactive? Curious to here some feedback. Thank you

DannyBoyLAD

Miami, FL
Did you quarantine the female before you added her?
I'm also in south Florida and my RF have become less active. But it's because of the high temperatures outside.
Yes kinda of. When I first introduced her. He was very territorial and would mount and chase her around. So I decided to split them up for a couple weeks and slowly started introducing each other. Until I saw him being completely normal when around her.
So he would stay out in the yard and she would stay inside her enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes kinda of. When I first introduced her. He was very territorial and would mount and chase her around. So I decided to split them up for a couple weeks and slowly started introducing each other. Until I saw him being completely normal when around her.
So he would stay out in the yard and she would stay inside her enclosure.
Generally, when we isolate a new tortoise it's because of the possibility of introducing parasites to each other.

As far as bullying goes, two tortoises together are not a good idea. But often 1 male with at least 3 females can work. So can groups of mostly or all females.
For years, I had up to 8 "females" living harmoniously together. Then one showed she was actually a HE. And it completely upset the group dynamics

DannyBoyLAD

Miami, FL
Generally, when we isolate a new tortoise it's because of the possibility of introducing parasites to each other.

As far as bullying goes, two tortoises together are not a good idea. But often 1 male with at least 3 females can work. So can groups of mostly or all females.
For years, I had up to 8 "females" living harmoniously together. Then one showed she was actually a HE. And it completely upset the group dynamics
I did not think of that whole parasite idea tbf. But i haven't noticed anything with these guys. They are doing great. Just trying to understand their behavior.

And yes i've read multiple times about having more females than males. I do want to get one bigger female very very soon. Just trying to time it right with my spare time. Maybe that'll make him more active!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I did not think of that whole parasite idea tbf. But i haven't noticed anything with these guys. They are doing great. Just trying to understand their behavior.

And yes i've read multiple times about having more females than males. I do want to get one bigger female very very soon. Just trying to time it right with my spare time. Maybe that'll make him more active!
My vet is BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC.
From the television show. (In Deerfield Beach)
Dr. Pardini and Dr. Kelleher are both excellent with Redfoot.
Is he eating and drinking? If so I wouldn't be too concerned.

DannyBoyLAD

Miami, FL
My vet is BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC.
From the television show. (In Deerfield Beach)
Dr. Pardini and Dr. Kelleher are both excellent with Redfoot.
Is he eating and drinking? If so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Thats great info to have. Thanks for that!

Yes both love to eat. Drink their water. I'm always spraying them down too

But is it possible he might be a little over weight? is that even possible?

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon

Has he pooped?

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon
Yes he has. For some reason he doesnt always poop in his enclosure but usually when i put him out in the yard. Which makes cleaning waaay easier lol
I find soaking helps with any gas or any possible tummy problems. Daisy, just plan loves a good warm soak. Warms her core up and makes her spunky. Just my observation with a Red Foot.

DannyBoyLAD

Miami, FL
I find soaking helps with any gas or any possible tummy problems. Daisy, just plan loves a good warm soak. Warms her core up and makes her spunky. Just my observation with a Red Foot.
oh yes for sure! i soak them a few times a week! and they usually release everything inside them lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
whaaaat you think? at 8 inches? i really never seen any aggressive behavior from her but i cant really know what goes down in their hide lol
Size doesn't mean a whole lot...possibly you don't understand. In school the bigger students 'might' be bullying a smaller student...but in chelonian's world bullying is, taking the best sleeping spot, eating most of the food, females acting like a male trying to mate...turtle and tortoise bullying is not a violent beating...it's mental and pushing one away from the hide or food. Guess I'm trying to say you won't actually see violent bullying...but it's happening....as an example...1 female trying to mate another....100_1924.JPG
these 2 Russians were the same size when put together...now look at the male...so small100_1850.JPG
hope this helps...

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
My 11 year old male redfoot tortoise has become a bit more inactive recently. I'm not too worried, just want to see others opinions. I live in South Florida where its mostly always warm and humid. I have him living outside with a smaller 8 inch female. I've noticed he became more inactive once i introduced the female. Back in the last days of December. He comes out for food and water and eats like a champ! He is nice and heavy too. But once he roams a bit after his feeding he goes straight into his hide and never really comes out again. The female loves to roam around. I have no issues with her. I do know we are now just closing up on the winter season, maybe it was that? He became more inactive cause of the cold? He rather stay inside the hide where its warmer. (He does have a heater inside the hide. But only comes on at night when temperatures are lower than 65 degrees) But even these past few weeks where its been nice and hot he doesn't come out and explore like he used to. Even when I let them roam the yard. He roams for a bit and ends up finding a nice little tight corner and ends up sleeping most of the day.

What I'm thinking is maybe he is overweight? Maybe I am feeding him too much? He eats Mon-Fri a nice variety of greens, fruits and veggies. I dont feed them on weekends. Or that this is more of territorial behavior when he in his enclosure. Just rather stay inside while he lets the female roam and explore everything else? OR simply like I mentioned its spring time now, just ending winter. Was it the winter season making him more inactive? Curious to here some feedback. Thank you
parasites?I feed Mojo my 3.5 yr red foot everyday..and he walks away when full..not fat per reptile vet..he weighs around 4 pounds

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems like you want them to breed? If not, separate them.