Inactive Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

My hatchling (born early Nov), is not very active. If at all he will get up to eat and then go back to sleep. I normally wake him up once a day and he will eat and the burrow into his soil/sand mix in his little 'house'. Today he has not eaten and had hardly moved anywhere. He is still awake (ish) and has not burried himself. Hi is just sitting near his food, head and legs half in half out (and pumping them to breath). Half asleep and half awake. Is this normal. Is this an indication of a health / environmental problem? He is definitely not active during the day as does not move from the spot where he goes to sleep. Activity is less than half an hour a day and that is generally when I wake him.

Cheers Laura

AST-Loch

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think hatchlings do sleep alot, and he may still be getting used to his little enclosure.

Does it look like he has trouble moving?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I don't claim to know anything about hatchlings, But from another discussion here temps are the biggest role in activity. Look around in new posts and ED was the expert.Maybe the name was Ej.
Good luck Na

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Laura,
My hatchlings are active at least 4 hours a day. What are your temperatures, warm end, cool end, under basking light and night time?
How long are your lights on for a day?

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Laura is this the same hatchling you have mentioned before? if it is
I take it you have them on soil and sand substrate. Do you soak them?
As Danny said my hatchling born early Nov. is active at least 4 hours a day- somedays he/she is up at 3 Am but he/she is up several time during the day and roams his enclosure. Eating well and gaining weight slowly. I'd listen to Danny he knows what he is talking about Has helped me more than once.

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
AST-Loch said:
I think hatchlings do sleep alot, and he may still be getting used to his little enclosure.

Does it look like he has trouble moving?

Hi,

He has no trouble moving when he wants to which is rarely. Sleeping is less effort!

Laura

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Laura,
My hatchlings are active at least 4 hours a day. What are your temperatures, warm end, cool end, under basking light and night time?
How long are your lights on for a day?

Danny

Hi Danny,

Temps today (at ground level) are 68F in the middle of the tank, also 68F at left end of tank where uv light is. 85F at heat lamp end (right hand end). Think it is quite cold today, and have had door and windows open a bit to air the house. Room temp at mo is 66F. I don't have a digital thermometer. I will check night temp tonight. It is normally around 66F when I look - or near the 20C marker.

I have a 60 watt basking lamp in there at the mo - also have a 100 watt one to use, but last time that was getting too hot.

Cheers

Laura

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How big is your enclosure? Sometimes hatchlings have a hard time find the heat source to warm themselves up if they have to much room at first.
Your cool end temperatures are a bit cold for during the day, it should be 70 to 75F.
How is his nose, is it wet or runny?

Danny

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The enclosure is just under 1m by about 30cm. His nose is dry - can see nostrils clearly. Eyes look ok too. How do I warm up the cold end?

Cheers

Laura

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You could do another basking spot with a 25 watt regular bulb in a 10 inch reflector. That way it spreads out the heat and you can raise it till you get the 70 to 75F.

Danny

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You could do another basking spot with a 25 watt regular bulb in a 10 inch reflector. That way it spreads out the heat and you can raise it till you get the 70 to 75F.

Danny

Hi Danny,

I have the heat lamp at right end, and uv at left end. Should I put the second basking lamp that you suggest in the middle. Maybe it be better to get one of those mercury vapor lamps plus the 25 watt lamp? You know I have them in a modified viv environment (sliding doors have been removed, masking tape at bottom, soil/sand substrate. ) Does this set-up tend enough towards a tort table? Please tell me if you think that I should change the set up as can sell tank on ebay to a lizard - its no problem - I want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Sorry for all the questions. I will be happy one I have them set-up correctly.

Cheers

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.