inactive male egyptian tortoise

ahmed helmy

Location (City and/or State)
cairo , egypt
I have male Egyptian tortoise that seem less active at all time , My female is rather active, but my male seems content to stay buried under the substrate. When I dig him out, he looks great and he even feeds once he's out, but the next day he's back underground. and there is no signs for illness .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Try separating them. If he is feeling stressed and bullied and hiding as a result, that will solve the problem. If he is actually ill, separating them is also a good thing.

ahmed helmy

cairo , egypt
they eats together , (if i awakes it ) , basking together , sleeping with each other in same corner , every thing between them is good , but only if he awake

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Until you separate the male from the female or group, your observation does not remove the variable of con-specific stress. Despite excellent observations skills, you can not see stress that is caused by con-specifics. The only way to make a behavioral change is to make a cage mate change, and most often the cage-mate change is what precedes the behavioral change. If it's the male's behavior that is not as it should be moving him to a new cage may exacerbate the stress. Best to risk stress in the most active healthy animal, move the female away. If there are several cage mates, then moving the male might be the better option. If only for a break in whatever is driving the hiding behavior.

Even people in prison who are brutalized daily eat and sleep, a survival suit of behaviors does not eliminate cage mate stress as a factor.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Basking & sleeping together does not indicate amity. You can make changes & see what happens.